When to recap?

I have a McIntosh MC 2200 amp. Production to the best of my knowledge is the mid to late 70s. I love the sound of this amp, and it will be a keeper for me for quite some time.

This is one of the oldest pieces of gear I own. So my question is, should I consider taking it in to get all the capacitors replaced? My fear is neglecting to do that, and then it will cost me all that much more. (Plus I'll be out of an amp the entire time it will be repaired)

Is this fear unfounded? Again, I plan to keep this amp for quite sometime. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice.
brad34695
Hello Brad.

It depends on the caps. Electrolytics age - 40 years is very old for such a cap. I would definitely replace all electrolytics with new ones at this point, especially the power supply caps which come just after the rectifier. Many brands: I like EPCOS for the power supply - a German collaboration with local labour, I understand. Be sure and get new supply, because there was a problem with some manufacturers going cheap, or so I heard. Some amps can take more capacitance in the power supply, but others can't - depends on design. If you can't buy the expertise, replace with the same values (in microfarads). Make sure that temperature rating is at least as high. Digi-Key sells and has good service.

I have also read that Silmic by Elna are very good caps. Choose caps that have as low an ESR as possible, and don't stint the expense - you will hear it.

For caps in the signal path, you might want to upgrade them if they are electrolytic, improving to polypropylene or even styrene - but the problem will be space. Do NOT change the capacitance (in microfarads). Parts Connexion sells, and has good service.

I have no connection to either Digi-Key or PartsC.

Don't try to do it yourself unless you understand about stored energy discharge, as in caps and chokes. It's not hard to learn, just get a good tech to show you, but it can be lethal if you don't.
Caps should be replaced. Why?...it's from the 1970s and even if it was treated with kid gloves, it's time to change them. And if it was in storage, the caps may have dried out.
You can look for yourself; see if any caps are leaking or dry and brittle.

Also, it should be bench tested by a pro and set-up to spec. I'll wager you'll need a few other parts replaced or tweaked; eg: resisters, solder joints, power suppy. After that, you'll have years of enjoyable use.
Former McIntosh repair tech, here.

Another clue; swollen tops of the electrolytics (can-type caps), and look for any dark liquid seepage from around the bases of the capacitors (some mfrs like NAD used a dark glue to help secure the cans, not McIntosh Labs).

All the internal PC boards WILL need solder joints retouched at their Molex connectors, and the carbon bias resistors (10, 12 or 15 ohms, depending on model, WILL have drifted if not replaced previously with metal film).

A properly biased McIntosh amp runs barely warmer than room temp even when driven moderately hard, so if the heatsinks are getting hot at all (or worse, one side heatsink warmer than the other), you need the bias circuitry resistors changed.

All the above will firm up the sound and re-focus the instruments better, as well as ensure future reliability and enjoyment.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Based on the consensus, I called a McIntosh service center that is about 40 miles from me. I have a Saturday morning appointment with one of their technicians to bench test the amp. The tech told me he does not subscribe to the theory of replacing everything. According to him, that's just a ploy for income purposes. I thanked him for his honesty.

He informed me by bench testing the amp, he'll be able to tell what should be replaced. A lot of what he told me over the phone was a little "Greek" to me, but I recall him emphasizing the importance to make sure the output transformers are functioning properly.

I'll post his findings after meeting with him. Thanks again all!!
A ploy for income purposes??? That is baloney. It is true that many Mac solid state amps have G.E. computer grade electrolytics in the main power supply that can last quite a long time. The axial tubular caps in your Mac should be replaced. The rubber gaskets crack and the electrolyte in the caps dries up. Power output can decrease as well as having heatsink temperature issues. I never say anything like that to my customers.
The McIntosh tech's statement was a ploy, to get you to bring the amp to his facility. Electrolytic capacitor manufacturers, in their data sheets, will specify an expected lifespan(in hours) for their capacitors(during use), at a certain temperature. No one ever expects their capacitors to last 40 years(or even close). Aluminum electrolytics also exhibit a limited shelf life. Here are a couple of articles that you may find instructional: (http://www.emersonnetworkpower.com/documentation/en-us/brands/liebert/documents/white%20papers/sl-24630.pdf) (http://digital.library.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc3104/m2/1/high_res_d/thesis.pdf)
I should have qualified my statements by mentioning that
your
caps, in those 40 years, have gone through a combination of
those two dynamics. In other words; what would be
considered,
"time in service" and "shelf life",
assuming that the amp was not constantly powered up, or
completely unused, in those years. Thus; they will have
gone
through the dielectric deterioration(storage) and healing
process(during use), a multitude of times. Then there's the
factor of the electrolyte drying out, over those years.
Bottom line:
Replace your electrolytics(at least)! Your ears will thank
you.
Yes- its not a matter of which electrolytics in the power supply, its a matter of *change them all in the whole amp*!
I would also recommend replacing all of the electrolytics, I replace them whenever newer and improved models become available, from my experience the difference is staggering.