Parasound JC 1 or Musical Fidelity KW 550?

Which Amp will be the best for my B&W N802s?
Current System;
Mccormack cd transport,Bel canto dac3,Sonic Frontier Line2,
or Pass Labs X1,Straightwire crecendos and serenade ICs,Serenade speaker wire. thank you
ellyjr
JC-1's, I have never heard the MFidelity's but the JC-1's are simply fantastic.
These are two of the best amps available. Either should be great. I have the Nuvista integrated and it is the best amp I have had. I use to have 801s and would have loved to hear it driving them. But all Curl's designs are exceptional. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Have you heard the MF supercharger KW550? How does it compare to JC-1s or the Nu-vista connected to a Preamp insted of as a booster? thanks
I had a dealer demo an a/b comparison for me of the Parasound vs the MBL 8011's...it wasn't close; the mbl's were much tighter; cleaner; smoother; and richer than the Parasound...and run a lot cooler...was not impressed with the Parasound...this was on same cables and speakers; we just switched out at same listening session the different amps; on same music source...it was very revealing...and they are similiar in price...just my two cents.
Hello,

In the current isssue of Stereophile (Dec 2008) there is follow up of supercharcher MF 550 and reviewer did not liked it because this amplifier clearly impose its own sonic signature on the system sound overdhadowing sound from small amp. He found it to be overly bright both as supercharher and amp by itself.

John Atkinson also have the same conclusion: too lean and too bright
John did review of new MF Supercharger 750 ($10k) as stand alone amp and he likes it but no more.

Parasound JC-1 and MBL are very good amps - everybody agree. If you can try Spectron Musician III Mk2 - you will not be disappointed

All The Best
Rafael
Mribob
I had a dealer demo an a/b comparison for me of the Parasound vs the MBL 8011's...it wasn't close; the mbl's were much tighter; cleaner; smoother; and richer than the Parasound...and run a lot cooler...was not impressed with the Parasound...

Mribob,
Do you know if the JC-1's were fully broken in? I had the JC-1's and ultimately did not like them (I preferred the Simaudio W5 and the Aragon Palladiums) but always wondered if I was too impatient since many have commented that they need extensive break-in. Just something to consider.
I'll just chime in to say that I had the JC-1's in my house in several systems (Maggies, Gallos, Aerial 10T, Avalons) and I was not impressed. To me, these amps just do not bring life into the music. They may be powerful and make bass, but I never heard much in the way of magic or resolution from them. Not anywhere near as good as the Ayre V1xe that I currently have. I also heard the JC-1's in a store and was not impressed. I think there is too much hype on them... but that's just my 2cents!
Not to answer your question but, I have the B&W N802's. I replaced a MF A308 pwr amp with a much smaller rated (110 wpc vs 250 wpc) Marantz SM11. I loved the difference so much, I bought a second Marantz and I am using them as mono blocks. Don't know why people complain about the N802's being bright. Mine sound just right and I love listening.

Just my $.02.

Paul
Elly, unless someone has tried both amps with the N802s, this is nothing but a popularity poll. Even then, that individual's taste may be different than yours.

I've owned large, 3-way, five driver, floor standing speaker for years and have tried many top rated SS and tube amps with them. By far the best in my system has been the JC-1s. In fact a friend came by to hear them right after attending the CES. His comment was that while some systems he heard in Las Vegas surpassed my system in specific areas, nothing, even in the $30-50K range, was better overall.

What does this mean to you? Only that you must try any amp you are considering in your own system. And what if you don't have a local dealer? My best advice is to buy used and conduct your own home audition. If you are disappointed in any way, you may then resell them and try another.
Response to Mribob
I had a dealer demo an a/b comparison for me of the Parasound vs the MBL 8011's...it wasn't close; the mbl's were much tighter; cleaner; smoother; and richer than the Parasound...and run a lot cooler...was not impressed with the Parasound...this was on same cables and speakers; we just switched out at same listening session the different amps; on same music source...it was very revealing...and they are similiar in price...just my two cents.

The MBLs are $7150 PER Mono-block, so they are 2x the price.
Another vote for the JC1's, I found them to be very good and mate very well with the SF line 2SE+ I had...
I have to agree w/Peter about the JC1 and lack of magic,found then to be flat and uninvolving .Ive heard of several users with build issues,plus they get hot as hell..I would recommend a larger Pass X.5 or the Mac 501 monos just to name a couple to drive those sometimes bright 802 speakers
Thank you everyone for all your inputs.
I thinking about getting a used Pass Lab 350 or 250 or may be the newer .5 series. Is Pass lab Amps durable/reliable? Do they have any issues? I know it runs in Class A. Does it run very hot? thanks
IMO ...Again ,I cant stress enough about factory warranty..I bought a new X.5 amp and it went to factory 3 times in a 5 month period..Was bad out of the crate,had distortion in one channel,and no it wasnt something I did on my end..It was repaired correctly the 3rd time but still it cost me over $125 to ship to them (3 times)plus the down time in my system.I moved away from Pass simply because I lost faith in their product.Im sure there are more with postive comments about Pass and a few like myself with a bad taste.I would never buy an older 250 or 350 without having the current owner send it to the factory and have them run it through the paces(cost on the seller of course),I would contact Pass and verify the process before laying down cash.Buying something on the used market is risky,better through this site but still risky.Thats just my mindset on used gear.Good luck in your purchase
I had the Mac 501's in my system, and the Pass 350 and didn't like either of them nearly as well as the JC1's. The Mac sounded muddy and slow, and the Pass seemed way too bright. It could just be the other equipement and my speakers (Magnepan 3.6r's) didn't match with them as well, but I didn't like them together. Both of those amps went to people I know and they both work well in their systems.

Back to the initial question, I think you would like the JC1's with your 802's.
Choose the JC-1, sound and build is far superior to me.

M-F changes model lineup and component content like we change our socks, though great at marketing though.
I've owned the JC 1's and Pass X 350. I liked the JC 1's better. The JC 1's do take a very long time to break in and don't sound good until they do. They're a bargain for the sound that you get. Better still is the Gryphon Encore but it's about $8500.00 used.

Frank
Pcs,

I have a Musical Fidelity A308cr paired with my Dynaudio S3.4 and it's excellent, very neutral. I'm not sure if this carries along to Marantz's separate amplifiers, but when using internal amplification, I found my Marantz receiver to tone down the highs a bit. I actually preferred it over my old Rotel when I had B&W 602s.

Dave
I agree with Frankg .. I have JC1s too and they really take long time to break in .. but when done they really sing magical even on my power hungry Thiel 2.4
They mate very well with my Pass Labs X1 preamp too

My cent!
My experience with JC 1 in my system they did not bring the
music to life, compare to the Viva 300B tube amp with the
550K connected.If you will use the right pc with the 550k
they are hard to beat,I use dcca and cpc model 11.I also believe the the Thiel speakers will match the JC1.Dont get
me wrong the JC 1 are good,but not in my system.