Does a Postal Money order need to "clear"?

I sent a Money order to my seller and he says he will ship when it clears. Is this necessary?
shoe
if you send someone a regular old personal check and it bounces, they have to pay a TWO buck penalty to the bank.
wow, that's really a tough situation alright!
my payment and my word of honor is enough. i am a certified
fanatical kook with TWO systems, no make that FOUR systems of varying size and complexity- in my house. who in their right mind would even want or need all of this specialty gear?
answer- me, and the other people who buy, sell, and trade here that are just like me. i don't sweat
getting what i paid for- ever. sometimes i can't even unpack it for a couple of months! but i know the person(s) that sold it to me often-times barely used it prior to the sale, and STILL list it as 8/10 just to be conservative.
however, there seem to be a number of very nervous folks that have drifted in from flea-bay and have lost their faith in mankind altogther. nothing (to them) is as it seems.
i try to reassure them, sooth them, calm them down, but it's no use sometimes. but i always, ALWAYS leave a phone number so they can call me up and we can talk the deal over.
MO's still present a risk, so yes, there should be a waiting period for it to clear. However, I will usually ship the next day to a AudiogoN member in good standing.

Cheers,
John
Yes it is necessary as my friend who is a postal worker said faking is going on there also.
I agree with Jmcgrogan2 as to how I would and do ship.
The last two banks I dealt with charged ME $30.00 each time MY TENANT wrote a bad check TO ME. If an individual purchasing an item chooses to not use Paypal or Western Union(as one of my European buyers did), he can wait the few days that it takes the check/MO to clear. An honest person should have no qualms about another removing any risk from a transaction. If the policy is stated before the transaction takes place, they can always cancel the deal(if they are that thin-skinned).