performance vs. resale

How much does the ease of resale factor into your decision to buy a product? Many times I'm tempted to buy a piece of very interesting or highly rated equipment from a very obscure brand, but then I hesitate, knowing I may have to "eat it" when it comes to resale...have any of you been burned badly trying to re sell rare equipment ?
desoto
I won't say that I've been burned badly re-selling rare gear. If you buy smart, and know that it is not a hot item, and are willing to wait and wear down the seller when you buy, you won't lose too much when you sell. However, you'll be on the other end then, the one being worn down by perspective buyers. Sometimes it has been worth the effort.......sometimes it hasn't. YMMV.

Cheers,
John
Even if it's obscure, if it has a proven track record and is highly rated (as you say) don't worry that you're the only audiophool who knows about it. It may not sell fast, but it will go. My Audion Sterling integrated took awhile, but some lucky audiophool is grooving right now. And Sterling is not one of those ubiquitous brands. So that's a no as far as the resale factor goes. Sound is always my main concern.
I'd NEVER buy anything I couldn't resell for close to what I paid for it within 30 days.
Post removed 
For me? The wonderful sonics are worth the fiscal penalty. If you buy used: $$ hardship usually won't be a problem.