Flat screens?

Folks: I know next to nothing about flat-screen T.V.'s (or what is on T.V., for that matter). What flat-screen T.V. technology currently represents (i) the best picture quality, (ii) the highest reliability, and (iii) the lowest maintenance? Feel free to offer names of brands and what I should expect to pay for one that is approximately 40 inches x 30 inches. It would be used for watching baseball (me) and movies (my wife) in a non-home theater set-up (just straight T.V.) Thanks to all.
raquel
My pick [someday] is the LG 50" 780i plasma [1080 is overkill & too costly at this point in time, IMHO].

I like the LG because: 1) 60,000 hour life 2) 2 year mfg. warranty 3) currently about $1500- or less. 4) 15,000:1 contrast ratio

Very impressive picture, but if there is a lot of ambient light in your room, go with an LCD
We thank all of you for your very thoughtful comments -- this is really helpful -- fantastic!

Drake and Raquel
Actually the best picture is still a Hi-Def Glass tube unit but the are small, boxy and heavy....then Plasma, then LCD but LCD gets better almost monthly, DLP rear unit projectors are popular for getting big picture on the cheap and can vary in quality fitting in between Plasma and LCD. Then last are Projectors which can be fantastic in a dedicated space where light is not a huge issue to control.....but for all their flaws that huge picture cant be beat for true movie involvment.
As of now I have Glass tube HDTV, small LCD unit and an LCD projector, my dad has 58in Plasma and my brother has a 65in DLP rear Projection unit so I have a pretty good hold on many of each strengths and weakness.
Agreed with 55dok. I own plasma, LCD, and rear projection using LCD, currently in the market for a projector. Among them all, plasma has the most realistic picture quality by a big margin. Just like photography, sharpness is not everything and plasma has that natural look especially in skin tone.

yes, I regret getting that LCD and rear projection. my next purchase will be a big plasma to replace my 3 year old NEC 42" ED plasma that still looks 100 times better than my other displays.
Folks: One last question: what are the typical discounts that dealers offer on good plasmas, for example, assume a 42" plasma that lists for $3,000? Assume further that I would go to a good home theater / two-channel dealer (I would not buy from a large chain like Circuit City). Obviously, discounts vary depending upon the product and the dealer, but is there any rule of thumb like the 10% that brick & mortar stores often do for 2-channel?

Thanks