Report from Rocky Mountain AudioFest

First day at fest...Heard some pretty good sound...speakers from PSB (new Symphony line), Tyler Audio, Acoustic Zen (new Crescendo is really good), Wilson Benesch were most memorable. Also appreciated chatting with reps from Audio Research, Acoustic Zen, PSB...and members of audio press (Jonathan Scull). BUT, overall, sound is WAY too loud for anyone who cares about his hearing or evaluating sound. And, there was a surprising amount of truly bad sound. Also, it seems like the only music being demo'd was percussion tracks and cuts by any number of women with an acoustic guitar. At the end of the day, my ears hurt and I had a headache and reaffirmed my feeling that the ONLY way to evaluate equipment is in my home...Maybe my impressions will be more favorable after a cocktail and some aspirin. Cheers to all!
77jovian
Try the cocktail and aspirin before listening next time - maybe the red wine tweak, which always makes things sound better ;>) Thanks for the report.
My 2cents from the show which I must say Is a great way to spend $10 at a nice venue with nice friendly hi-fi buffs. I thoroughly enjoyed It although 6 hours Is not enough time to listen and see most of the gear on show on the friday, which Is shame as there is an awful lot to see Speakers my ears liked. The most Impressive 'midrange' from the show was the Apogee Acoustic speakers.They were open and had real timbre to the Instruments and voices that Is hard to find. Bass was very light though. The Thiel CS3.7 was also making nice noises. AudioKinesis 'Dream maker' was also giving out some nice blues. I like the Metro Ribbon again this year same as last year. The Talon's were nice sounding. I like the new Improved Aspara horns that was Instantly noticeable from last year, new and revised crossover. They sounded nice on easy going music on vinyl, but didn't cut the mustard with Michelle Shocked on cd. The Tyler audio was ok to. Wilson Maxx2 were lovely sounding. The speakers that I didn't like where the new B&W, way to bright on top. Some weird offering from Germany MBL, that were sort of like 'Darleks' from Dr Who.They were also too harsh for my ears. I was really looking (being a horn lover) to listening to the Acapella's. They both (Triolon & Campanile) were a huge let down considering the off the planet prices for the masses. The Triolon's did make a solo Violin sound lovely and real though. The Campanile I didn't like at all, I am sorry to say. It was maybe Dire Straits being played that was problem, but why blame the cd eh?
Show got off to a good start found some good used LP's and got in some listening time. Although I didn't get to every room I hope to return Sunday. The system that I think was most impressive was the Audio Alternative room with the
Vanderstein 5a's and the Ayre MX R Amps and the all new Ayre Pre-Amp. My understanding was that this is the one and only in existance right now. But with Grand Prix Turntable and Lyra Colossis (spelling) Cartridge, I am not sure that I have ever heard a better sounding Turntable.
The Ayre Amps and Pre-Amp were major contributors I am sure. The other room that caught my ear was the Mark Levenson and Wilson Sophia Room what a great performance.
The other lasting impression was made in the McIntosh Room with their new speakers truely smooth from top to bottom.
All one man's options of course.
supplement to the above...Thiel 3.7's are indeed wonderful in the mids and high but do not have the low extension and control of the 3.6's. The Apogees' midrange, especially, is very nice, powered by AR's HD220. Audio Unlimited's demo of Focal 1037be with Boulder 1000 electronics and Tara Labs cabling was detailed and sweet throughout all ranges, maybe a little light-footed, but very pleasant. Vandersteen 5's were outstanding imagers and, honest-to-god, Beatles' "Yesterday" never sounded better.

Note: I mostly steer clear of systems too big for an actual house. Making a violin sound bigger than a cello crosses from sound reproduction to sound reinforcement for me. Also don't spend more than a few minutes listening to quirky stuff that looks like a lamp.

Best give-away: 8520 Audio's eponymous bottles of hot sauce, which they also used as trestles to keep equipment/cables off the ground.

Most surprising disappointments, to my ears, your results may vary: Marten's which sound good, but not $200K good; Sonus Faber Elipsa's, which sound good but not $20K good; Usher 718be Tiny Dancers, which may be a lot better than the harsh music they were playing.

Finally, thanks to Mitch2 for the cocktail/aspirin tweak...the second day is going better...
Post removed