HD Radio...anyone heard any in home tuners?

Hello!

I am in the market for a radio tuner...I have been looking at a lot of units including some by Sansui, Marantz and others...you know the vintage stuff. Then I thought, what about the "new wave" digital tuners. The stations between the stations. I would be interested to know if anyone out there has had a chance to hear any of these radios at home and if they have how did they compair to their old setup?

Thanks for your input,
Ben
bearotti
The HD in HD Radio© means nothing specific...it's just the copyrighted name of that technology. It probably is intended to make buyers feel that the quality improvement is equal to high def TV.

I'd suggest trying the Sangean HDT-1X from a seller like Crutchfield with a liberal 30 day return policy. The HDT-1X has a digital output that is said to sound good through a good DAC; the HDT-1 is the earlier version lacking the digital output and a few other enhancements. I'm planning on trying the HDT-1X through my TADAC, but my location might be too remote for a clear signal.
The Boston station (WGHB) I listen to via a FIOS Internet and wireless SqueezeBox II announces that "you are listening in HD." That is, at least in this case, the HD feed and the Internet feed are the same. I suppose the bit rates could differ. In this case the internet feed is 128kbps.

Ken
Kenyonbm,

The bit rates would have to differ, as the HD maximum bitrate is 96k.

David
Armstrod, thanks for that information.

If that's the case, then higher possible bitrate is another reason to leave HD radio in the car, as unclejeff recommends in his post.

I am a big fan of Internet radio but I think that the best way to hookup is via broadband and SqueezeBox. A lot of the feeds are less that 96kbps, but many are more. For me, the ability to tune in stations from the other side of the world with sometimes very good fidelity and no noise or drift etc. with a inexpensive piece of equipment is the way to go.

Ken