why don't they get it?

Please tell me why woman or at least most don't get it when it comes to good audio gear. I was in a Florida thrift not to long ago with girlfriend when I spotted a Kenwood 8300 tuner in absolute mint condition for the asking price of 20bucks, so of course I did the the sane thing I plugged it in when everything seemed kosher I happliy made my purchase. Now all the while she can't believe that I am interested in this old and according to her, an ugly archaic hunk of junk,now all the time I am trying to educate her about good quality equiptment that was built at a time when pride and and sound prodution was an important factor. But of course nothing I could say would change her mind if it doesn't have a blue light around the volume knob and volume control she is not interested. I guess it must be the female mind.
schipo
I've been watching this thread with amusement/annoyance, (maybe more of the latter than the former). My husband and I listen to a lot of music at home and live -- and I've put together a couple of systems we are pretty happy with. (He by the way has no interest in the equipment side and he thinks i've been a little nuts on the amount of stuff i have bought and changed but he is ok with changes as long as he thinks it sounds. better in the end.) The suggestion that there is some defect in the "female mind" ( whatever that kind of generalization means) that we can't appreciate good audio seems pretty simplistic and offensive. Granted audiogon is largely populated by men - but clearly there are a lot of women music lovers- at least if the live venues i go to are any indication. Most people ( and probably more women than men) just haven't had the kind of exposure to good equipment to know what a difference it can make in enjoying recorded music. I am constantly struck by looking at audiogon pictures of the number of rooms with single chairs - maybe if you moved another chair in and invited the women in your lives in to listen to the music with you you would find the response to the hobby to be different. Carol
That Kenwood sounds like a good buy. I have an old Kenwood receiver that I bought at a thrift shop--super cheap--that has amazed me.

I won't bother with any male vs. female comparisons. However, I think a lot of men would also question that Kenwood. They'd agree it's old and archaic. And as for sound quality--well, frankly most people don't care, as long as they have their remote control, their five billion watts of power, etc.
While this is a generalization,it is because for the most part they just don't care.Audio equipment does not interest the majority of women.Most women that I've known are happiest with a small reasonably attractive system.Looks are more important than sound quality!!! Of course,other than expense,I could care less about my wife's fetishes for Coach pocketbooks and Diamond jewelry!!! By the way my wife has excellent ears and when pushed is an excellent judge of sound quality.She just doesn't care! Also the best way to buy a woman a present is to let her pick it out.It may not be romantic,but giving my wife my credit card always results in a gift she is happy with and when she's happy...
To Dupzyk, where were you a few years ago when I was shopping for a new mate? I'm lucky, my wife is wonderful, but she just doesn't get audio. Oh well, you can't have it all, I guess. Dan
hi schipo:

i think there may be another problem here--materialism.

maybe she is judging by appearance. this behavior may be manifested in other situations. there is another term that may apply--other directed.

in any case use some psychology and try to determine what motivates her behavior, to the extent you can, and observe consistent patterns. you may figure out why she objects to this purchase.