Regardless of how much you've spent...

do you like or love this hobby? in one form or another, I've been reading about audio for almost 17 years without a break. I have 17 years of continuous thoughts running around in my brain. When I go to bed, I dream about it, I click on all the webzines every day(even on my Sony PSP)and before I go to bed.
What say you?
128x128tabl10s
Like everyone, I suppose, I go in cycles. I can go years where I have a stable system and really just enjoy playing music. Sometimes I get completely away from audio and just watch movies on my projector every night for 3 or 4 months. Some equipment issue usually gets me in or out of audio again.
Several times the tubes have blown in my amps, then I hook up a SS amp and forget about tubes for years at a time. Then getting a new pair of speakers - I wonder what tubes will sound like - so I get them retubed, and am now at it like a tube maniac again.

Often just 1 tiny upgrade pulls me back in after years of never even checking audiogon. About 2 years back, I read about demo powerplant P500's going for a good price with a 30 day audition. I think - hey living in New York - I am a prime candiate for regenerted power (and have always wanted a powerplant- they just were too big before the P500)

Of course, once on PS Audio's site - waiting for the P500 to come I read about gain cell amps, and I end up with a full PS Audio system.

I read here a small ad about Cerious liquid ceramic cables. "Oh that's interesting" I think. I read their white paper - I end up with a pair of thier speakers and a full set of cables, AC cords, XLR, RCA.....

I read about a new phono stage (the tron seven) since the PS Audio doesn;t have quote enough gain for me, and go to pick one up from the dealer for evaluation - I end up with a new turntable and arm. The dealer didn't even mention the table or any other gear. I don't need a salesman to upgrade me- I do it myself and I always have. As a kid I would go to buy a $40 walkman just to play some music, and end up coming home with a $200 Aiwa recording model.

I am currently so happy with my old tube amps - that I now have to have their latest version at 4x the cost.

But after this big round of upgrades, I am sure things will settle down, (as long as there is good system interraction) My only upgrade I am looking for after this will be a Stage rack from systrum.

I know things will settle down because to get the next level of quality after this upgrade will be so much money that I simply can't afford it (or have space)

So that's a good thing.
Used to love it; now I merely like it. The hobby can wear you out and lead you down some false alleys if you're not careful, and it did that to me. I still value great audio, but I'm not nearly as obsessive about it as I used to be. I've got MUCH bigger fish to fry.
Well the "... regardless of how much you spent..." seems a bit naive to me, but I still find that equipment gets in the way of the music for the vast majority of 'philes.