A series of underperforming setups...Solution?

I've had some quality electronics: Started with Marsh seperates, Shunyata Hydra PC, had Def Tech BP 7000 speakers, Jolida JD 100 tried Simaudio Nova moved on to McIntosh 6900 integrated then, Plinius 9200 integrated; had Talon Raven speakers briefly, moved on to NAD M3 integrated had, all Acoustic Zen cabling, Modwright Sony 999ES, Von Schweikert VR4JR speakers, Now have the DK Signature integrated and Reimer Wind River GS speakers. The one constant has been that each of my systems has underperformed top to bottom- in my opinion. Bass has been a big disappointment too. My room is a rectangular family room over a concrete floor 11 by 20 by 8 with speakers on one of the short walls about 1 foot from the front wall and 6 feet apart- room is filled with furniture. 2 couches plus fish tanks toy chest etc. Because my setup is in the family room, I have no options for differnt speaker placement. We've had various power issues in the area over the last 2 years and I plan to get dedicated lines. Do you think dedicated lines are the key to most of my performace issues? Thanks
foster_9
Just a few summing up suggestions:
1) Spend no more money at this point EXCEPT on music.
2) Put on music with bass content (try classical with basso continuo for example), and start moving the right spkr forward and inward AS YOU DESCRIBE ABOVE by small increments. At one point you SHOULD hear low frequencies start to appear out of nowhere -- at least SOME low frequency.
3) Leave right spkr as per 2, and start doing the same with left spkr. Stop where bass content starts to appear out of nowhere.
Note: although I mention "bass content" what you'll be really hearing is midbass. You want to find a point where there is SOME at least, midbass energy coupling b/ween the two spkrs.
4) Adjust with both spkrs and try to mark to positions in 2&3 above (use masking tape & quickly remove same after set-up --- or the wife will remove you altogether:) ).
5) If 4' apart is what it takes, you'll have to live with it. DOn't toe in the spkrs, it may work. Listen nearfield (you probably are already).
Don't worry.
Smile at the family and play their favourite piece when you're done.
Cheers
$1000 spent to have Rives audio assess your room/setup may be the best money you can spend to fix your audio
Having just moved in to a similar-sized room (last week in fact), I've found that one of the advantages of a smaller room is being able to get great sound through smaller electronics and speakers. I seriously considered VR4jr's for my new room until enough folks here told me there were better options.

I'm currently using Totem Model 1s and so far, although it's only been a week, I'm encouraged with the results. With the Totem's size, I'm able to move them around quite a bit and I'm slowly getting them in to position...20-inches from the back wall and 18-inches from the side at the moment. They'te toed-in about 10-degrees and the soundstage is locking in nicely.

Just last night my son and I were listening to Spencer-Dickinson on vinyl and on several tracks he mentioned how the sound was wide and deep, with some drum whacks sounding outside the speaker plane. That's what I want.

May I suggest smaller speakers? IMHO you don't big equipment to get big sound in our similar sized rooms.

Good Lock!
Vinylmatters, thanks. In fact, thanks everyone for the responses. My plans are to stick with the current gear I have other than maybe a new front end, a sub, and some tweaking. I really don't want to go through another pair of speakers. I'm tired of dealing with speaker changes.
Post removed