A series of underperforming setups...Solution?

I've had some quality electronics: Started with Marsh seperates, Shunyata Hydra PC, had Def Tech BP 7000 speakers, Jolida JD 100 tried Simaudio Nova moved on to McIntosh 6900 integrated then, Plinius 9200 integrated; had Talon Raven speakers briefly, moved on to NAD M3 integrated had, all Acoustic Zen cabling, Modwright Sony 999ES, Von Schweikert VR4JR speakers, Now have the DK Signature integrated and Reimer Wind River GS speakers. The one constant has been that each of my systems has underperformed top to bottom- in my opinion. Bass has been a big disappointment too. My room is a rectangular family room over a concrete floor 11 by 20 by 8 with speakers on one of the short walls about 1 foot from the front wall and 6 feet apart- room is filled with furniture. 2 couches plus fish tanks toy chest etc. Because my setup is in the family room, I have no options for differnt speaker placement. We've had various power issues in the area over the last 2 years and I plan to get dedicated lines. Do you think dedicated lines are the key to most of my performace issues? Thanks
foster_9
If you want a built-in EQ, check out the McIntosh C42/C46 preamps. I love mine and it solves this sort of problem rather well. The EQ on the 6900 won't do it - it has to be at least an 8 band for your situation.

Arthur
Post removed 
I hate to say it, but Newbee is right.

Newbee and Aball; you guys oughta just rent a hotel room and get'er done ;-)

Good on'ya Foster_9 for giving such a thorough accounting of your system and room for others to respond. I'd agree that clean power is not the answer, though it is a positive step, I don't think it will clear things up. Beyond that I think the positioning advice is good. I'm just not familiar with the gear your currently using so won't comment there. I think, for what you are looking for that the match between amp and speakers would be where I'd look. From what I've read about the Modwright I don't think the problem could be there. You mentioned AZ cabling throughout - which of their cables are you using..specifically, what is the link between your front end and amplifier? I like silver everywhere else, and this is a broad generalization, but in the link between source and amp(pre) I found that copper IC's really made a big improvement in bass quality and quantity, and I preferred the strongly over silver. This has come as a very recent revelation upon changing DACs. YMMV. I've preferred silver in every other connection where I've found copper softens things a bit too much...at least in the very limited number of cables I've tried (relative to what's out there). Anyway, if you try altering cables, I've found that source-amp link is critical.

Good luck!

Marco
Thanks for the advice Marco. I have AZ Matrix Ref II for the front ends and Satori for the speakers. I spent more for these cables then I ever thought I would when I started in this. I feel they are quality, so I plan for these to be my last cables.
Just a few summing up suggestions:
1) Spend no more money at this point EXCEPT on music.
2) Put on music with bass content (try classical with basso continuo for example), and start moving the right spkr forward and inward AS YOU DESCRIBE ABOVE by small increments. At one point you SHOULD hear low frequencies start to appear out of nowhere -- at least SOME low frequency.
3) Leave right spkr as per 2, and start doing the same with left spkr. Stop where bass content starts to appear out of nowhere.
Note: although I mention "bass content" what you'll be really hearing is midbass. You want to find a point where there is SOME at least, midbass energy coupling b/ween the two spkrs.
4) Adjust with both spkrs and try to mark to positions in 2&3 above (use masking tape & quickly remove same after set-up --- or the wife will remove you altogether:) ).
5) If 4' apart is what it takes, you'll have to live with it. DOn't toe in the spkrs, it may work. Listen nearfield (you probably are already).
Don't worry.
Smile at the family and play their favourite piece when you're done.
Cheers