Soundproofing Doors at Home Depot

The walls of my listening room are pretty solid, but a fair bit of noize seems to leak out underneath the door, which then echoes into the hallway which is acoustically bright and reflective.

Consulting websites which are devoted to soundproofing, I have found some impressive but very expensive solutions: seals which move up and down, lead lined recording studio doors, door sized covers etc etc.

For my purposes, I would greatly appreciate any advice on how I might install a simple, inexpensive solution for this old wooden door which has a gap of at least an inch.

Would home depot have a seal that you would recommend? A heavy rubber flap for the door jam?

Has anyone had success doing this yourself?

cheers

cwlondon
cwlondon
No offense taken -- the light-duty suggestions aren't supposed to hermetically seal off the room, just cut down HF reverberation a bit, in keeping with CWL's expressed wish for ideas that A) are inexpensive and B) keep the present door intact. I agree that this approach can't be of greater than middling effectiveness, but I don't think more is possible unless those two preconditions were to be removed, in which case have at it. But I can't really tell whether his main priority is alleviating a residual annoyance inside the listening room, or making the rest of the house quieter...
An exterior door is the solution on the cheap side. That is what I did for my dedicated listening room.
Another vote for an exterior door. I bought one with a small double-pane window so that one may see to the other side which was an important consideration for my wife. It is best solution I have found. Caulk well as mentioned above.
I am actually building a Rives designed studio right now. Though I do everything in overkill mode, I can share some light on your situation.
Yes, use solid core exterior doors. Also perimeter gaskets/seals by Pemko and Zero International should be the minimum. You can add mass by applying drywall to each side of the door with a layer of Green Glue. Communicating doors will add the air space that is needed. I am doing that to an exterior door. Doors by Overly and other's are a bit pricey. You can do just as good, or even higher STC ratings by the methods described above.

Regards,
Bruce
Lowest tech solution which doesn't require rediculous dollars to solve a simple problem - a long pillow/beanbag to lay at the foot of the door to block the air/sound flow. It could be filled with beans, etc. something not too heavy but dense enough to block sound. Any seamstress worth her salt could easily sew it for cheap using the exact dimensions necessary for your door. You can have the fun of entering "no man's land" the fabric store to pursue the proper fabric...

You could compliment this system with a rubber seal on the floor, if you wish - something economical from home building center ie. Home Despot.

There, I just saved you hundreds.