Wooden Platforms Redux

I asked in another thread about wood under components to eliminate vibration etc. I was steered towards maple and or walnut. Plywood of these two varieties will do, correct? Thanks, Mark
zar
I am not aware of anyone using plywood in these applications. Not that it won't work, it just won't sound the same. If you want to try a low end solution, the usual recommendation is to go and get a 2 inch thick butcher block from Bed, Bath and Beyond
Another inexpensive and very effective way to dissapate vibrations is to use small wood blocks - roughly 1" x 2" x 2" (exact dimensions do not seem to be too improtant - except that one dimension needs to be greater than the height of the equipment feet). You can get 1" boards from a local hardwood retailer and cut your own from a variety of woods to experiment. You'll be surprised at what differences various woods will yield. I've tried oak, walunt, teak, maple, mahagony, bocote and zebrawood with the latter being my favorite by far. Be certain to put the wood in direct contact with the component chassis, and not under the component feet. For some reason, placing the wood with the grain parallel to the chassis seems to work better that putting the chassis on the end grain of the wood. This works for amps, preamps and CD players.

Even more effective is placing V-Pads between the wood and the equipment shelf; or even under the butcher block if you use that. You can get V-pads (ribbed rubber-cork - rubber pads) at heating and cooling supply retailers for about $2 apiece. They are designed to reduce vibrations in machinery and are very effective. They are about 3"x3" and if cut into quarters fit nicely under the small wood blocks. The combination of V-pad with wood does a very effective job of isolating airborne and/or rack/shelf-borne vibrations while the wood dissapates equipment vibrational energy with different woods yielding different sounds. Try the v-pads under your equipment rack as well.

This becomes a very inexpensive and dramatically effective tweak.