How Do I Build a Faraday Cage?

Can anyone provide info on how to best and most cost effectively build a Faraday Cage? Trying to conquer RFI entering tube phono stages? I hope to enclose the phono stage and perhaps the line stage. How do you deal with interconnects, etc. Thanks,

Spencer
128x128sbank
To see if you really want to do this, wrap the thing in Reynolds Wrap (Aluminum foil) and ground the foil. If this makes no difference spend the money you save on good recordings.
I remember using one when I was a grad student doing open and closed cell patch clamping. Absolutely could not do without a cage, to much interference. I am sorry though, it was built when I got there. You might try contacting a university that has a neuroscience graduate program. Might even be able to higher a poor underpaid starving grad student to build one.
If you do a search on ask.com or the like you'll find a lot of information on construction, resources, etc. But as was said before it is basically a box made of conductive material that is grounded separately from your components. They're used to protect devices from outside RFI/EMI getting in, or inside RFI/EMI getting out.

Cheers,
Tom
Eldartford has it right from a physics point of view.

Practically speaking, we also used to use metal window screen material (stands up better & you can see through it). Then just run a wire to ground (if you use a water pipe, have to make sure that there is no plastic splice to break ground...for experimental purposes, we used to bury a piece of foil/screen about 1 foot deep & soak the ground with water).

good luck,
Three posts here speak of the Faraday cage needing to be earth grounded. I searched and searched the net a few months back to prove the case that the cage had to be grounded to reject RFI. The only thing I could find was that it did not... Example, CDP, DVD players, TVs, and radios. Two wire cord and plug no equipment earth ground. CDP and DVD players just a floating metal enclosure, a Faraday cage.
Jim