Your Computer Based Transport Setup

I am on the verge of moving to a Mac or Windows based transport setup but I am not sure which route to go.

I am pretty good with computers so a custom pc setup is what I have decided because of:

1. economically better than packaged music server
2. ability to experiment and change settings and software

However, I do not see a lot of info or thoughts on peoples computer based transport setups, (or ones that or pretty recent considering how fast the computer landscape changes so fast)

I will be going through a Chordette QuteHD dac to a Bryston 4b SST amp.

So, what is a good looking and performing computer setup?
Do you like mac mini's, big macs, windows 7 or 8 and any pro's and cons?

I am leaning towards a mac mini with something like audirvana. The mini is a nice looking small format and the OS is pretty solid and it runs quiet and cool from my experience.

Thank you fellow computerphiles.
photonman
I use the laptop I had on hand + Stellu U3 + Benchmark DAC-1 (as preamp direct to power amp using balanced). I took the battery out of the laptop.

JRiver for player. Memory playback.
PM

Its called REMOTE and is available free from the app store

works like a charm

Good listening

Peter
I too use the remote (Apple standard, on App Store) app to control it all. And if you're scratching your head, wondering if it's "better" than CD, then it's working....
I recommend Oct. 2009 Mac Mini with SSD and 8 gigs DRAM. Put Amarra on it and rip CD's with XLD. Use the USB port next to the one centered on the box. You can add a Hynes Mac Mini power supply later at $900 to improve dynamics. I have won several best of shows with this configuration.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Initially started with PC then switch to Apple. Macbook Pro>USB>Ayre QB-9 DAC>MF6I. Using Decible instead of ITunes. Firewire 800 from EHD to Macbook Pro. Really enjoy the setup and sound. Decible major step(s) above ITunes and can play FLAC. PC was a suped up desktop but older and was using Vista for OS. I like Mac though a newer PC might be just as good. Vista was the main problem. I agree you have to back up drives. I small price to pay for security of digital music collection.