Recommend upgrade DAC

Currently using Cambridge DAC Magic with SB Duet. Have no real complaints and could happily live with it. But, what would be a nice step up in a DAC for around $800-1000 used? Possibly with HDCD decoding?

Also, all CD's ripped to FLAC. Will ripped HDCD's be recognized by SB Duet and pass them on to DAC?
smholl
Is Benchmark DAC a major step up from the Cambridge DAC Magic? If so, please discribe.
I would think you are getting close to the most recent model Bel Canto DAC on the used market. I have a Bel Canto with the SB Duet and am happy using the coax.

I also have another SB Duet on the Cambridge DAC Magic and that seems pretty close. Finally I have a Musically Fidelity V-Dac on another SB Duet. That is a lower grade system but sounds pretty good too.

I think the SB Duet does need a DAC to make the sound into music.
Tough to beat the Cambridge DAC Magic on price to performance but I like the pedigree of Benchmark DAC1. Less of the off the shelf market components and a lot of in-house development of components and software.

You want to see some type of innovation like the UltraLock™ jitter-immune clock-isolation technology versus using general parts.