Ripping to a Mac, any software?

After importing several songs to my iMac via iTunes, I found the results disappointing. I used Apple Lossless and had the error correction in Preferences checked. Any tips for the mac for better sound quality? Any decent ripping software for the Mac? How about using a better cd spinner, such as an external Plextor drive? Thanks!
heymikey
Sidssp, I'm using an Empirical Audio Freeway 2 USB to SPDIF converter, then out to an Accustic Arts Dac1 MK3. With this configuration, there is no 16 bit rate option available in the iMac's Midi settings, 24 bit only. I do have sampling rate options if 44100.0, 48000.0, 88200.0 and 96000.0 hz, I leave it at 44100.0. The Midi options will change if I put in a different dac. I don't know if it would be worth the trouble of converting audio files to a 24 bit rate before importing to iTunes, I guess I could try it and see if it makes any difference. See quote below, from bigfishaudio.com:
"What is the difference between 16 and 24 bit?
16 and 24-bit refers to the sample resolution of the included samples. 16-bit is the standard resolution of audio CD's, while 24-bit is an enhanced resolution supported by many samplers. Some Big Fish Audio libraries are produced in 24-bit, while others are in 16-bit.
It is not necessary to convert from 16-bit to 24-bit. All samplers that read 24-bit files can also read 16-bit files, and while it is technically possible to convert 16-bit files to 24-bit files, there is no increase in fidelity and therefore no advantage gained by converting in this direction."
It sounds like there is a bug in the Freeway 2. USB is a plug-and-play interface. Upon connection, it will announce itself to the host what it is and what capability it has. It looks like the Freeway 2 has forgotten to announce it is 16-bit capable. I would suggest you contact Empirical Audio and see if they have a newer firmware for the converter.
Sidssp, nope, just had a few emails with Steve at Empirical, the Freeway 2 is working as designed. This one has the newest driverless firmware.
I also have an Imac using Itunes for playback.
Been extremely happy after a year and 1500 cds ripped
My set-up is an Empirical Audio Offramp Turbo
into a Grace 902. Using modest cost external HD's and CD drives.

As others have stated MAX will rip and convert to Apple Lossless
http://sbooth.org/Max/

Another great Mac ripper is xACT 1.59
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21952

On the 24 bit side of things.....I do a lot of my own recordings in 24 bit and keep all of these in my Itunes library (Max will convert 24 bit WAV to 24 bit Apple Lossless)

I have my output set at 24/44.1, when i play
a 16/44.1 file in Itunes it sounds perfect up-sampled to 24/44.1
Edtyre, thanks for all that great info! It's nice to hear from someone else with similar gear. Yes, I keep my Midi settings at 24/44.1 also. So far, all my audio files in iTunes are 16 bit. Here's what Steve at Empirical told me about 16 bit files and the 24 bit setting: "This is the best-sounding way to listen to 16-bit files, extended to 24-bit."