Cartridge rings at certain high frequencies

Hi all, I am new to the forum, and this is my first post. First my system, mainly vinyl based and consists of Linn active Amps & Speakers, with a Michell Gyro modified with the Orb platter, plus an SME 309 arm. Phono pre amp is a Graham Slee reflex C, cables are Nordost. Cartridges are various, but exist on all of them, currently an AT33EV MC.
On certain high frequencies I get a ringing sound, a sort of harmonic, but not truly a harmonic sound. It's not on all albums I play, such as all my 180gm, but shows up on a lot of the 120-140 general vinyl. So far I have tried the following. Checked the arm and cart every setting at least fifty times, so much so I can now set the Azimuth blindfolded and asleep. I thought it was my music room, so in went the rugs, carpets, cushion, sound defuses, traps etc. didn't make any difference, it was still there. The TT does have DensoDamp fitted and the SME doesn't ring at all. The only thing that hasn't been changed is the cable......so I have bought a lot of Linn cable to try, but first thought some of you kind people may hopefully tell me of something that I have missed.
I do have a DS player, not that is used a lot as vinyl is my prime listening pleasure, and I occasionally get the slight ringing, but not as prevalent as with my vinyl setup. Thank for reading and thank you for any assistance that you can provide.
Brian in the UK
brianev
Hi, possibly it could be but I doubt it, and I do suffer from it, but it isn't the same. The tinnitus I can switch off in my head, but this sound is totally different I think? I am due a check on my ears sometime this year, so will ask the question, thanks for the post.
Regards
Brian
You are probably hearing a standing wave caused by not having the speakers working together. "Master Set" would help this and give you a very much improved musicality to boot.

Rod............
Cables have arrows on them not because the music flows through them like water through a hose but because they tie the extra shield of the cable to the ground at one end only so that you can have them all "drain" to ground at one place. It's usually best to have all the arrows come together at the preamp so that they are all seeing the same ground but YMMV. BTW, lot's of cables do not even have a seperate shield.
Hi, thank for the reply. I originally set my speakers up ( Linn Active) using the Tune Dem method as used by Linn techs, but, that isn't to say it couldn't be improved upon? So, can you please tell me what the Master Set is? Thank you.
Regards
Brian
Hi, thanks for the reply, all my arrows are pointing the correct way, in all of my cables. But, my Nordost cable, which flat, and about 2 inches wide, and has a large amount of conductors, doesn't have an earth shield of any sort. The cables are just silver soldered into BFA connectors, with the directional arrows on the heat shrink covering on the connectors. So, I am still wondering if this is a problem?
Regards
Brian