Reel to reel repair - is it worth it?

Inherited a Teac X-3 reel-to-reel from my father, along with some tapes he had recorded. In anticipation of getting it, I even bought some more pre-recorded tapes off Ebay. After I got the Teac home, I found it didn't work (reel won't engage when "play" is pushed). Only repairman in town gave $150 estimate. Is this reel-to-reel worth $150 to repair? Hate to just throw it in the trash as it has sentimental value. Even though I have no experience with these kinds of repairs, is this something I should try to repair? I can take apart anything. Fixing it and putting it back together again is another story. Any thoughts?
rockyboy
If I can keep the repair bill under $150, I'm going to do it. I understand that they're not without issues. Again, finding tapes that are in good condition is a challenge.
At last springs THE Show in Newport Beach I saw several R2R based systems whic h sounded terrific.
One of the system owners had access to 'master tape' level recordings. Too bad each pass thru the machine takes a little off the top.

So, such systems are still out there and sounding good. Only you can decide if upkeep and material sourcing issues outweigh the 'cool factor' and sound.
You can get it repaired by Teac itself. They are still at the same address in California that they used in the 1970's during the heyday of reel to reels.

I got a X2000 that they serviced and it works great. Cost of new blank tape is over the top but they are available and you can get ahold of them.

I would do it. Teac made great decks and service is still available on them. A solid company
I found a repair shop in St. Louis (5hr drive) where wife's family lives. I will drop off the player for repair the next trip down. Thanks for everyone's thoughts.