Reel to reel repair - is it worth it?

Inherited a Teac X-3 reel-to-reel from my father, along with some tapes he had recorded. In anticipation of getting it, I even bought some more pre-recorded tapes off Ebay. After I got the Teac home, I found it didn't work (reel won't engage when "play" is pushed). Only repairman in town gave $150 estimate. Is this reel-to-reel worth $150 to repair? Hate to just throw it in the trash as it has sentimental value. Even though I have no experience with these kinds of repairs, is this something I should try to repair? I can take apart anything. Fixing it and putting it back together again is another story. Any thoughts?
rockyboy
If there is a tie to your Dad,as you indicate, a few hundred bucks is nothing,even if they are your last ones .

Better your last dime than a lifetime of regret.Been there,done that.
Several years ago I bought a Nakamichi cassette deck and I now have three. My listening sessions on the cassette players are usually longer than my CD sessions, FWIW. I'm telling you this because as much as I think cassettes sound great, I'm usually told that reel to reel is the closest thing to the original source. Just be sure that you have a competent tech who can go through your deck and align the heads and change belts. Also, be sure you can get high quality tapes at a reasonable cost. As Schubert said, if your dad left this deck for you, how can you not invest the time and money into this heirloom?
You could get another one to practice on: changing belts, lubing capstans, using contact cleaner. I was a little shy at first about fixing my cassette deck but am now fearless and happy I learned how to keep it going. So don't toss it in the trash -- your Dad gave you not only the deck but the opportunity to learn and grow.
From the standpoint of a remembrance you've got all the advice you need. From the standpoint of the audio value of the RTR, you can check w member Atmasphere who is a high end electronic designer and vast experience using and repairing many, many RTRs.
Just from the sentimental value you may wish to keep it despite it not working. They are cool to look at.
As you may be quite handy, you may want to check on eBay for a repair kit. There are a few that supposedly would repair your described problem. Should run less than $50.00. Please post how you make out.