Article in WSJ about compressed dynamic range

There was a front-page article in today's Wall Street Journal about the problem of compressed dynamic range with pop albums (done in order to make everything sound louder). Ted Jensen and Bob Ludwig are quoted. Pretty good read for a lay article.
raquel
Any lawyers out there - possible class action lawsuit here? I have over 1000 CD's and I would estimate that at least 10% are "hard clipped" throughout - that means totally maxed out with flat square waves on peak parts in the music. In any other respectable business this kind of faulty product would be recalled.

See this site - software now exists that will tell you how bad a CD product is CD Clipping

We also have "expert" witnesses who have made public statements. It is fairly easy to prove that the product is faulty.
The most compelling reason I shy away from some contemporary audio formats and music genres.
In my area digital CBS TV station broadcacts at least twice louder (up to point of distortion) than digital NBC station. In addition CBS spikes high frequencies - probably to get more vivid sound on TV speakers without tweeters.

It is very difficult to prove that product (CD) is faulty since they will show better sales and a lot of satisfied buyers. It is all targeted toward average person and not the audiophils. I have nightmares about everything changing, one day, to only one format - MP3.