Speaker's efficiency, sensitivity and impedance

Hi folks, this has been discussed earlier but could you please explain once more in a rather simple manner what the relation is between a speaker's efficiency, sensitivity and it's impedance? Does a low impedance loudspeaker also have low efficiency? In reversal: does a low efficiency speaker have low sensitivity and low impedance? Thank you in advance.

Chris
dazzdax
A speaker's(or speaker system's) efficiency/sensitivity rating is determined by it's SPL output in DB with a 1 Watt(or 2.83v) input, measured on axis at a distance of 1 meter(in an anechoic chamber). The speaker's impedance is not relevant in this measurement.
Looks like you've got an impedance obsession disorder!

Would you buy a car based on the sole parameter of engine displacement? If I told you one vehicle had a 6.2 liter engine and another had a 7.8 liter one, would you be tempted to say which one is the fastest?

The displacement number alone tells you nothing. It is a lot more useful to know the smaller engine goes in a Corvette and the larger one is a diesel from an Isuzu delivery truck.

A speaker's efficiency is due to many factors. Magnet type & strength, precision of voice coil gap, the number of turns on the coil winding, the voice coil gauge, diameter & other physical attributes, cone, spider & suspension materials and design, size, crossover design and cabinet design and more are involved in the performance of a speaker.

I'm curious as to why you are so intent to reduce such a complex issue to such a limited, simplistic view.
Chris,
I feel for you, it appears as if you are hung up on amps lately. I assume for your sound labs- forgive me if I am wrong.

Sensitivity=efficiency= how much power(watt) for how much sound(spl)-typically measured in db/w {decibels(perceived loudness) per watt(measure of power)}.

Impedance is AC (alternating current) resistance and is not related directly to sensitivity. Impedance pertains to the load characteristics of the speaker. A watt is voltage x current and ideally the amplifiers output impedance should match the speakers input impedance for proper power transfer between the two. Sort of like being in the correct gear in a vehicle in so that the motor is in the correct rpm range. Extra horsepower (kph) can overcome being in the wrong gear somewhat, but usually at the expense of "nimbleness"- engine lugging. Ultimately this becomes complex quickly as impedance often varies with frequency. If there were an easy answer someone would have capitalized on it by now. Contrary to what we read in the magazines, there really are very few "new developments" in audio. One of the reasons Western Electric gear is so sought after is they had the budget and the market for doing a lot of R&D. Way mor so than any company since. Often what we see are a rehash of their's and other's experimentations, or that manufacturing technology has advanced in so that their research is affordable to produce for a marketable product. The best amp I know of was never made for consumer use, but as a piece of test equipment not related to audio (and no, I'll not tell what or my friends will hang me for letting the cat out of the bag!). If you are still looking for an amp for your Sound Labs you really ought to give the JC-1's a go. Better yet, Pass Labs if you can afford it. I know you think they are mid fi, and maybe they are. However they offer a lot for the money and are not "clunky" or as you have put it "mechanical".
Post removed