High end fuse box options??

I am thinking of adding an additional fuse box down next to the box that is already downstairs. Is there a better option then the box one would pick up at Home depot.

Also, are there other considerations when setting up a new box such as isolation, etc..

Thanks,
freemand
Is the QO copper or aluminum buss bars?

I'm following this with great interest. I'm about to close a deal on a place with screw in fuses. I want to install the best breaker box I can find.

John C.
Freemand,

Rick Schultz and my electrician recomended splitting the electrical system into two separate systems just behind the meter, 1 for the house and the other for the AV. We used a 200-amp breaker for the house and a 100-amp breaker for the AV. The breaker box for the house is in the garage only a foot from the 200-amp breaker and the breaker box for the AV is in the closet next to the AV wall. That way nasties from the AC system, stove, computers, printers, etc. will not back upstream and infect the AV system.

Ed
The QO series uses a solid copper buss bar. However it is electroplated to reduce oxidation and looks silver in color.

Although I think that splitting the electricity immediately after the meter is better, I had room in my original outdoor 200A breaker box to put in a 100A breaker for the subpanel. I then ran 2 gauge copper cable from the main panel to the new indoor subpanel about fifty feet away in the basement. (Copper prices have shot through the roof over the past year, so this was actually the largest expense of the project.)

I ran four new dedicated 20A circuits to the AV area using 10 gauge copper wire ending with PS Audio PowerPorts. I chose Square D QO AFI (arc fault interupter) circuit breakers. With only four breakers, I still have plenty of room in the subpanel for future use if I need it.

The job wasn't pure audio reference quality, but the improvements in simply having the dedicated sub-panel were worth it.

I looked at installing some serious commercial quality whole house surge and spike protection at the subpanel box, but there were so many other ways for surges and/or spikes to enter the system (antenna/cable/phone/satellite/other AC circuit connections), it made more sense to do it up front at the main box. Although that's something I'd still like to do, I haven't done it yet.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions.

Cheers,
Tom