task lighting suggestions

Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions for task lighting to be used to better see my turntable. I'd rather not use a clip-on and might consider a floor stander. I've also seen a few examples of track lighting and thought that might be a good way to go. My listening room ceiling is the dropped tile kind, so I'm wondering if someone makes this type of lighting for such an application.

TIA,

Dan
dan_ed
Thanks for the great ideas! Eddaytona, I have a light like the one you mentioned that I use by the RCM. Works very well but it does get pretty warm. Nsgarch is right, it does produce a hum if too close to the equipment. I also found that it produces a significant amount of noise on the circuit when turned on or off.

Neil, Doug has some really nice track lighting over his system that looks great and is flexible in that you add/move the lights. Wish he'd post a picture, it really looks nice and functions beautifully. There is almost no heat put out by them either which is a big plus. Even with that lighting system or the one Albert uses (which is also very cool!) I could still see the need to pull out a LittleLite from time to time.

Those Ikea's Kurt posted about are probably the most cost effective. Alas, they aren't sold through the website and I'm not close to an Ikea store. Still, it does give me some ideas of what to look for on my next run to Home Despot or Blowes.
My criteria for a suitable lamp was that it must be flexible in positioning, have no transformer (or any other sort of noise-producing quality, either physical or induced over the power line), and preferably NOT clamp to an existing rack or stand. While aesthetics aren't all that important (I have a dedicated listening room), it should be somewhat unobtrusive. I eventually cobbled together a combination: an articulating arm "architect"/"student-desk" style lamp, such as this:

http://www.lampsplus.com/Products/s_task-reading-desk-lamps/page_2/72867/

I then removed the base, and since these lamps are designed to be mounted on drafting desks and the such, they usually have a short mounting post which mates to a fixture which can be screwed/clamped to any surface. Discarding said fixture, I then used an old cymbal stand base (yes, I used to play the drums...). This tripod is very rigid, has nylon bushings and a tightening set screw to lock the lamp post into the tripod. Lightweight, floor-standing, positionally flexible, very adjustable height, and a simple incandescent bulb. Also rather sporty in all chrome (which cymbal stands invariably are).

The only caveat is that the mounting stem at the very bottom of the lamp (where it normally mounts to the base) MUST be made of metal. Plastic will eventually break due to the amount of stress at this point. Measure the lamp stem diameter, and go to your local music store to find a used cymbal stand, preferably one with double-braced legs. This provides a wider tripod base, and an additional amount of weight to counterbalance the lamp well. Cost effective, and more versatile than many of the aforementioned solutions.

Also see:

http://www.luxous.com/ -- a time tested manufacturer of exactly this style of lamp

-Richard