Best for under $5,000.00

If you were going to buy an amp, preamp and hook them to B&W 805(non-diamond) speakers what would you buy new? I am intrigued by the new low cost tube amp stuff(I think made by Cary)that is being promoted in the Audiogon adds and wonder if I would achieve "audiophile" level using some well choosen lower cost stuff. I play CDs and ITune sources. I know the sound is no better than the source but just currous what you all would buy new (I looked at all the used stuff) if you were buying. Thanks.
flybyjr
Unsound, I wondered about that too. The 805's are 4 Ohm speakers and 87 dB efficient. That could also be the basis for the butler suggested above.

There would be a large number of options using a tube pre paired with a solid state power that might work well with the 805's.
Doge Clarity pre-amp should be on your short list. Here's a link to the Doge 8 which I own. The Clarity is the newer, improved model.

http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Preamplifiers.html.

Pacific Valve distributes this and many other units. Joe is a stand up guy.
Not sure..

But what about Rotel?? Since they seem to be brand mates. I thought I would think of them. Unless of course it has to be Tubes??

If it has to be Tubes I would go with the Butler suggestion that "Rlwainwright" has made to have a starting point.

If it has to be an All Tube System, and I have a Speaker System like the B&W 805 Standmounter, and the Electronics cannot exceed $5000.00, then I would look at Rogue Audio and check out the Metis Magnum Preamplifier (which is an All-Tube design) and then mate it with the matching Atlas Magnum Power Amplifier.

On the other hand, for me, I would do the Rogue Audio Metis Magnum Preamplifier and then mate it to a Rotel RB-1552 Power Amplifier. That would give me an All-Tube Preamplifier with a Solid-State Power Amplifier. And then, I would design the rest of my system accordingly with other components that would bring out the best in these two main components. I would look at this as the best of both worlds. And this combination will still leave you with plenty of cash for other components or upgrades for your system.

--Charles--
McIntosh 275 is a great tube amp, on its 6th edition over four decades. So is Leben from Japan. Don't know your speakers but those are great tube amps.
Pass X350 amp and Aesthetix Calypso will have you set and should be more than enough to drive your speakers. You should be able to snag the pair off Audiogon for close to your budget.