Rolling Stone Mag 100 Greatest Guitarists

You probably have seen Rolling Stone Mag has updated their 100 Greatest guitarists list. How can you watch "Jeff Beck Live At Ronnie Scott's" and not choose him at #1. Jeff loved Jimi, but there is no longevity to his credentials as was the case with Duane Allman. If you see Jeff live you cannot take your eyes off his fingers and the concert is over before you realize it. Most guitarists would pick him. And where was Les Paul or Stevie Ray Vaughan?
jeff_l
It's an absurd ranking, but at least they got Jimi at #1 right. Apparently they only meant "elctric guitarists"; "where's Segovia?" comes to mind.

As I recall, their previous list had Kurt Cobain in the top 10, which eliminated all credibility - he could barely play. I personally would put SRV at #3, Beck much lower - but who cares? It's all purely subjective, some odd kind of popularity contest.
11-25-11: Danlib1
It's Rolling Stone- a prime example of something that's outlived it's usefulness. I would just ignore them if I were you

My sentiments exactly.
More fluff. So many better guitarists than the ones listed. They should have specified they meant pop guitarists. But what musicians in the classical/Jazz world take RS rankings seriously? Some seniors may remember the quip, "it was never the same after the staples." Flipped through Rolling Stone at Walmart and barely recognized it. Beau coup advertising and insert cards. Yeah a writers story may win a reporting honor occasionally, but if advertiser marketing suggests readers buy a lot more Red Bull and Ketel One that's what keeps it on the rack.
Hard to pick the best without getting all serious about it.

I vote for Wayne Campbell. "Party on, Garth!"
......wanted to stay of out this one but. Okay let the forestorm begin as we have our personal favorites ....Hendrix was great - but the best no.....innovative yes. I never cared for Jimmie Page's style ....I agree about Duane Allman as that truly was shame as that guy really could play.....you would also need to look as his dtuff when he was a session muscian at Muscle Shoales. When I saw Curt Cobain in there I went really ???....all kidding aside and I don't own any of his stuff but watched him on Clapton's Crossroads....have you ever seen Vince Gill go at it ...that dude can play ....and to answer OP's thred - I have seen jeff Beck - yes, he is in a class of his own