Best surprisingly good value component

Like many of you, I try many components, liking many of them, before settling on one for the final system component (thank God for Audiogon, and buying and selling used gear). Many times I am shocked that the biggest name, and most expensive doesn't sound the best in my system.

I tried many (11) DAC's before settling on the Bryston that I had in my system for a long time. I have had many, many subs, and even more phono stages, both tubed and SS.

So my question is what is the component you have in your system now that is the "best bargain". In other words probably much below the cost of the other components, but you just can't get rid of it because it sounds so good?

For me it's easy: PS Audio GCPH Phono Stage modded by Parts Connexion (sold mostly by Underwood). I bought this as I tried to find the best sub $5k phono stage I could get, and never found one that bettered this to my ear. I don't know that everyone would have this experience, but with my set up, I have yet to find a better phono stage.

I recently went to a higher output cartridge, and tried to go back to the phono stage on my Cary SLP98p F-1 that I have always loved, and found that the Modded PS Audio bests it in all ways by a mile.

Let's hear what your best "bargain" gear is?

I
macdadtexas
Unfortunately, most people will never understand how right Bojack is regarding the Fried A/3. I have a pair of A/6, which were substantially enlarged, but retain the same character. Incredible speakers that are at least as good as current ANY speaker I've encountered under $5000.

Likewise, the Dynaco ST70. When it comes to tone, this more than ubiquitous dinosaur competes with any amplifier. Provided it yields enough power to mate well with one's loudspeakers, and you can get past the fact that its low-end performance definitely does take a back seat to more modern designs, you can put additional decimal points in the price, but really can't do better.
JVC QL-Y5F with a Grado Signature 8. It outperformed a Linn Axis-Rega P3 or both Revox tables in the mid-late 1980's. $200 will get you a solid turntable even by today's standards.
Rhing modified Sony Playstation 1 cd player
Musical Paradise MP-301 6V6 SE integrated/headphone amp
JMR Twin speakers
Don Allen modified cd changer
Woods Yard Master speaker wire
Don Allen Cakepan EL84 SE amp
Fried Model R Speakers
DIYTube ST-35 amp
Epos ES-11 speakers
NHT M00 powered nearfield speakers