unrelated to audio- digital camera buffs please

sorry for the unrelated to audio thread, but I need some quickly dispensed advice on buying a digital camera, preferably less or way less than $300 for a upcoming vacation. it needs to be compact, good battery life & best pic quality possible. My wife already has a Fuji S5200 that way too big & complicated for a luddite like me. she said we already have fine pix viewer on our computer (whatever that is & buy a Fuji, it'd be compatible w/that). it will be carried on a motorcycle & see some harsh treatment based on where I'm headed. (Oregon & burningman so you get the picture) thanks & cheers!
128x128pehare
I have used all makes and models as a pro. If you can spend a little extra without a doupt the best travel point and shoot is the Canon Powershot G9 and the new model supports RAW.
Good Luck
Built in rechargable batteries are nice but they can also leave you stranded. My Canon runs on 4 AA. I bought rechargable batteries for it but have used regular ones in a pinchs as well. Just somthing to keep in mind on long rides.
Advice from personal experience.
Get the biggest, brightest LCD screen you can find for the money.
Get rechargeable batteries, they last longer.
Have a look @ Panasonic. I am waiting for the new LUMIX DMC-FZ18 W/18X zoom to hit the shelves in Sept. I have a Cannon S520 and although it does well outside it does not do well in low light. Canon is lagging in that Dept., so I hear.
I use Lithium batteries when storage and space are an issue.
Sams Club have good prices.