Davy Jones we will miss you

In 1966 I was 10yrs old. I did not know who The Beatles were but I knew who The Monkeyes were. They introduced me and millions like me to pop music. Life would never be the same. I will miss you Davey Jones.
koegz
The Monkees TV show was a surreal experience much like "H.R. Puffinstuff". Remember that? "Aunty Grizelda" and "Pleasant Valley Sunday" were among the tunes that got me into buying records. I still have those Colgem lable monos.
Don't have any Monkees vinyl but I think a lot of their stuff sounds better than ever on some of the more recent CD releases I have heard.

Not much to do with DJ, but Tapioca Tundra is one of my all time favorites.

I found this about TT that might peak the curiosity of audio buffs:

"Mike Nesmith wrote this song inspired by a large collection of old 45 records from the '20s and '30s he purchased at a yard sale. Along with "Magnolia Simms," this was a tribute to the ragtime and jazz of the '20s, even going so far as recording using gramophone technology to mimic the echo and the skipping of an old recording."

Were there 45 rpm records in the 20's and 30's? I'm guessing whoever wrote this meant "78 (rpm) records".

"Last Train to Clarksville" is still a great tune/single and has aged well.

Lots of others too. The Monkees were an extension of the fresh, young and fun loving Beatles as depicted in the film "A Hard Days Night". They were mocked for it by many in the day but I think the attitude of many critics towards them has softened considerably over the years.

GOod times!
I was 9 at the time. Hot Dog with Jonathan Winters and Joanne Worley, yesterday's How Is It Made?, with music by the Youngbloods; The Monkees and others of that era will always be remembered. Apollo missions, Walter Cronkite, Bruno Sanmartino, Gorilla Monsoon, that guy Steele who ate the turnbuckles, I could go on.

My personal prizes of that time were fresh copies of Bookends and Cheap Thrills.

RIP Davey; you guys weren't the Beatles but the songs kicked a**.