Art Blakey, king of the drums.

Someone inquired about North African music, and while perusing my collection in an attempt to help; I ran across Art Blakey, who is neither North or South African, but who's music is "king" of the African Beat.

I give you "The African Beat"; featuring ART BLAKEY, drums; SOLOMON G. ILORI, vocal, penny whistle, talking drum; CHIEF BEY, conga, telegraph drum, double gong; MONTEGO JOE, bambara drum, double gong, corboro drum, log drum; GARVIN MASSEAUX, chekere, African maracas, conga; JAMES OLA FOLAMI, conga; ROBERT CROWDER, BATA DRUM, conga; CURTIS FULLER, tympani; YUSEF LATEEF, oboe, flute, tenor sax, cow horn, thumb piano; AHMED ABDUL MALIK, bass.

"Orgy in Rythm Vols one and two" is the next CD. ART BLAKEY, ARTHUR TAYLOR AND JO JONES on drums; SABU, bongo, timbales; 'POTATO' VALDEZ, JOSE VALIENTE congas; UBALDO NIET, timbales; EVILIO QUINTERO, tree log, HERBIE MAN, flute; RAY BRYANT, piano; WENDELL MARSHALL bass.

These two CD's will take you to the jungle, make you want to put on a grass skirt, and shake "yo booty".

What's your favorite Blakey?
orpheus10
Shadorne, can you help me figure out; why do I keep looking for James Brown to come running out on the stage and grab the mike.
Around 20 years ago I saw Maceo with Fred Wesley at Blues Alley and their drummer was Melvin. I believe the only other instrumentation besides them was one guitar, bass and keys. Anyway it was virtually a JB show without JB, except our table was literally just a few feet from the stage in a small club, which of course would be impossible with JB. Like many great musicians, Maceo sings like he plays. One of my fav shows ever. Later on, when instrumental funk started being hip with the jam-band white kids, he got popular as a solo and quit playing such intimate, jazz-oriented venues in favor of larger rock-oriented concert halls (around here it was the new 9:30 Club, which he could sell out).

Anyway, back on topic: For max jungle groove, don't overlook side 1 of Art's "Drum Suite" album, recorded in '56 and released on Columbia the next year, with Jo Jones doubling the drum thunder quotient along with Candido and Sabu on bongos and Charles Wright on additional drums and percussion. The great Ray Bryant debuted his classic "Cubano Chant" and Oscar Pettiford played bass and cello. (Side 2 is from a different, previously-recorded session of the Jazz Messengers with Jackie McLean, Bill Hardman, Sam Dockery and Spanky DeBrest -- hands-down the best jazz name ever, or should I say hands-on?). I have it on 6-eye and it'll blow your socks off.
Zaikesman, I just checked; I have that. It's Blakey's most memorable in my opinion. That lineup was too incredible for words. Oscar Pettiford is the best bassist ever, or ever will be. (all music is subjective)