smokin' recommendation: Evan Parker's "TIME LAPSE"

Evan Parker, first generation British improvisor, collaborated with genius producer John Zorn to produce one of the most shockingly brilliant albums of solo sax I have ever heard. It consists of overdubbed pieces, often reminiscent of Terry Riley's minimal soprano loops of the 70's. It is a spectacularly recorded album, very intimate sounding in its presentation of these vast sonic fields. Any fans of minimalism or free jazz will be duly challenged and delighted. 5 stars!

Title: 'Time Lapse'
Label: Tzadik
chashmal
Jazz is such a small word for so much music. This particular genre/type of Jazz isn't my thing. You should check out Jazzcorner.com where there's quite a few Evan Parker fans hanging' out!
There's probably quite a few Evan Parker fan's on this site.Thanks for the heads up,Chashmal.
I have many of EP's other works, and I might be inclined to agree with some of the criticisms here in relation to most of them. Time Lapse is different. First of all, it is a highly overdubbed album with many varied textures and complex sonic fields. Most of the time he simply plays. The complexity of the pieces is more like a work of electronic music in this sense. If you are turned off by his other stuff, still, you might be turned around on this one. Zorn did an amazing job producing it.