Nick Drake and others like him

Have enjoyed getting to know Nick Drakes music...was wondering if there are others from the same era in the same vein that I should hear... this was before my time!
issabre
Great call all around, Eslaudio. That reminds me of yet another rather less well-known and melancholic artist in the same 'family' as Drake and Elliot Smith. Try Damien Jurado's, Where Shall You Take Me?.
I think in the initial thread he was asking for others of the era? Obviously some don't know their british folk. You might try reading joe boyd's great read, white bicycle.
Checked out the Alexi Murdoch...wow. I really like Time without Consequence. That was an immediate purchase. Also, Tim/Jeff Buckley...liked those too. Am still in the process of checking the other stuff out. Thanks all!
Checked out the Alexi Murdoch...wow. I really like Time without Consequence. That was an immediate purchase.

I would practically guarantee that anyone who likes Nick Drake's music will also enjoy Alexi Murdoch. Time Without Consequence has become one of the most frequently played CD's in my library. You will enjoy it, I promise.

Chashas1 - You are quite correct, I did ignore the parameter to stick to the same era, but there are so many modern artists who seem to be influenced by Drake, and or are coming from a very similar core with their music. In the case of Murdoch....well, just sample the first cut on his CD and you'd swear you were listening to Drake himself. I don't know if it is deliberate, but I do seem to recall reading Murdoch acknowledging the influence. If you do a google search you will see the inference drawn over and over again. I was astounded the first time I heard that CD at the similarities. Regardless, it's a great CD and just beautiful music and songwriting.
Second the Elliot Smith and Iron&Wine suggestions. Elliot's music is very subtle and grows on you over time. Cheers,
Spencer