slow, funky, groovin' laid back music

Looking for something instrumental to put on late night, quiet with deep bass and soul. Not easy or "smooth" jazz, but more hip hop influenced. I like theivery corporation, but would like to hear more afro/jazz influence. Does that make any sense? Something like People Under the Stairs or Digable Planets or Erykah Badu or Jill Scott, but without the words. Recommendations welcome. Thanks
rosedanny
Musicovery... not exactly what was ask for, but this is a fun site for stumblng up on new to you tunes.
Hey thanks to you all! I haven't had a chance to respond until now--looks like I posted the right question to the right bunch of people! I already blew my music money for this month, but have made a list of records I'll be buying come payday: Nightmares on Wax and Ratatat will be on the list, as will some daptone selections. Also Kid Loco. And thanks Albert for the AMG website--I spent an enjoyable educational hour there the other night. Down tempo is what I'm looking for, but not so much ambient/electronica. Anyway, thanks again--I'll let you know what I end up getting.
Again, you should here "Portishead, Live At Roseland, NYC". Please let me know if you do.
OK, I got Cinematic Orchestra "Live at Royal Abert Hall" and "Every Day". This isn't quite what I had in mind, but it's beautiful, and lovely late night listening. I got a remixed CD of theirs as well, which is very good. Nightmares on Wax "Smoker's Delight" is just the ticket! I'll get "Carboot Soul" in a few days. Thanks for the reference to last.fm; what a brilliant way to hear new music! I got a CD compilation called "Red Martini" which has some good tracks, but all in all is mediocre. I still need to listen to Portishead--promise I will, Devilboy! Also been enjoying some DJ Krush. Thanks all for the recommendations.
Bugge Wesseltoft: Moving...I dont understand why these guys are not more well known....if u like cinematic orchestra wait until us hear this!