Blue Note reissues as an investment?

What are your thoughts about the investment potential of the Music Matters' numbered limited edition releases versus the unnumbered limited edition copies? How about the Analogue Productions limited edition numbered Blue Notes?

(Some will be outraged, no doubt, about people buying these with the intent to sell on ebay in the future but that's a different issue. Frankly, I have no problem with it; People buy art, real estate, etc as investments and this is no different.)

I just ordered the Music Matters' subscription but plan to listen to all of them and sell only what I don't like. That said, I hope I love them all. If I had the money (I don't) perhaps I would buy two sets and keep one as an investment.

BTW, Elusive Disc just announced they have more subscriptions available in case you thought you missed out.
kublakhan
Hi - Oops, for some reason, that set showed up in my search for lp's but I didn't open it to read the description. You can see a list of many past auctions here:

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?pagenum=1&searchtext=mclean+mosaic&incldescr=¤cy=&sortord=ddate&thumbs=

And yes, as a professional stock trader, I would say your point of view is absolutely correct. If you can sell it for $300 and you don't, that IS exactly the same as buying it at that price.

Frankly, if you put it on Audiogon (with a reserve), you might do much better than the Ebay average. Jazz LP's are often going for truly insane prices here - which is a whole other discussion in itself.
Buy the LPs you want and you are investing in your music enjoy every time you put one on the TT. Get a spare if you think you need a back up, but think of it as a spare only.
Undoubtedly a bad investment, at least in any predictable sense, for all the reasons mentioned already. But, great enjoyment factor, so I can't imagine wanting to sell them later anyway - every one of the AP and MM sets I have received I just love. Maybe they'll be worth a lot when my kids are cleaning up my estate in a few decades :-)
What if some unscrupulous person(s) find a way to make newly released counterfeit copies of the original reissues?

You never know.
A few years ago I spent about $90 for the reissue of Rossini's Sonate A Quatro (Accardo on violin) on Philips which was advertised as limited to 1000 numbered copies. Well, about a nine months later, numbers 1001 to 2000 started popping up for sale. Now they're up to 4000. These jerks are just issuing as many as they can sell and putting nice little brass numbers on every box. In this cases I don't care all that much because I bought it for the music, but I'd never spend $50 per disc (or any where near that) for a supposed "limited edition" as an investment.