White Album, when's your last listen?

Okay, I have a vinyl copy purchased in 68 or 69 which of course was worn out long ago. Now I'm on my second cd copy after one of my daughters "borrowed" my first copy, and my grandson is listening to it now.
Well the other night I popped in the first cd and sat down to listen. When it finished I hit play again. The music truly is timeless. The next night I did the same with cd #2.
Absolutely wonderful stuff. The biggest surprise was on the song "I Will." My "BeatleSong" book says this was recorded by Paul and Ringo with Ringo on drums and backing vocal and Paul playing the rest. While listening I noticed Paul mimicking the bass line with "doo doo doo" in the right speaker. Impossible to guess how many times I've listened to this through speakers or headphones but never noticed this before, wow.
Think I'll try Sgt. Pepper next.
timrhu
I was surprised to hear it coming from our family room system when my teenage college student was home on spring break- I reminded me of an incident from about twenty-five years ago when I was in the service- I was between assignments waiting for a "A" school program to start and I was placed on a detail to rake leaves. With me were several other waiting students and a few people waiting on discharges. One guy was a huge Beatles fan and we were singing snippets of Beatles songs as we worked and challenging each other as to who could do the best renditions. We did this a while and ran through most of the standards- "Help", "Here comes the sun", "Baby's in black"...,
He said "I can sing any Beatles song" I tried to stump him with "Hey bulldog"- spot on.
I thought what cant he sing- I challenged him with"Revolution 9"- he reeled off a perfect rendition with sound effects and all!- I was stunned!
This demonstrated to me how deeply every nuance of their music had been absorbed by our generation- and now by our kids.
My best friend from childhood always said that his favorite "White " song was "Wild Honey Pie"
Three or four years ago I tried to buy my nephew (he's a musician) some music for his high school graduation, stuff like Hendrix, Beatles, Miles Davis, John Coltrane. I found out he had most of it and what he didn't have, his school friends had just gotten for him. I thought the multi-disc package of "Bitches Brew" would be good, was told his best buddy just gave it to him.

I think the Beatles music can stand on it's own without reference to time and place, and will still be as popular 20 years from now.
Just gave it a fresh listen on CD!

This was the first listen since I completed my recent tweaks to my system.

The results: I'm very happy camper! Everything was there and everything sounded "right". Even picked up a few new details I've never heard or noticed before.

BTW, The White Album makes a great reference recording for me because there is so much to hear and I've heard it on so many systems over the years, starting with my first system and those of many others I know.

I have a decent vinyl copy still as well. It's in my queue....
Wouldn't it be something if they actually released their catalog in high rez ( like the Stones sacd's) or in true mono like they intended ? We all, and the remaining Beatles will all be dead before it happens, why ???
Great question and I have had no idea for 20 years why the best recordings take forever to be treated right. The Beatles albums didn't come out on CD until 1988 and then almost all of them sounded like crap. Now, here we are more than 10 years into the "high resolution revolution" and, except for "Love", "Yellow Submarine", and "#1s", we got none. A few years ago you could get remastered CDs from Japan but Red Trumpet Records went out of business.

Same thing with DVD. Why did it take four years for Godfather and Godfather II to be released? Arguably two of the best 10 movies ever made!! Same thing for a much of other great movies.