Name your favorite sax solo.

My personal favorite is Coleman Hawkins playing over Mood Indigo on Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins (Impulse). Gotta be one of the best things ever recorded. Melodic, technincal, beautiful... He was awsome even when he was just mailing it in. You can never have too much Hawk!
grimace
Iso,

That whole album was a masterful offering.
At 12, as a little boy, I loved it, appreciating on a purely emotional, visceral level--and today, I still love it, and appreciate it viscerally, emotionally AND intellectually.
Nancy's voice, Cannonball's incredible technique, Joe Zawinull's stylings...there's just so much to like about this album, one can pick one area, focus, move on pick another...it's as I said, a 'masterful offering'.
Also, if you haven't seen it...there's a YouTube of Nancy singing, 'Guess Who I Saw Today'...it's the one with the white top table and a martini glass, I don't have the URL right here. What a video, voice, recording...as usual, Nancy 'brings it'.

Good listening,
Larry
The Big Man Clarence Clemons' solo in Jungleland!
God rest his soul

Hear, hear. My thoughts exactly. RIP Big Man.
I'm a big jazz fan. And yet, I have to say my favorite sax solo is Clarence Clemons on "Jungleland". Not for his technique or ability, however. There are obviously much better solos, if we're talking about improvization, creativity, etc. I pick this because it is so incredibly moving, sad, poignant, and beautiful. Having said that, I have to give credit to Springsteen, as he came up with the solo and hummed it to Clemons after they had tried various other iterations, phrases, etc.

BTW, if we're talking jazz solos, there are just too many great ones for me to pick one.
Allow me to throw some ballads into the mix. I nominate Joe Lovano on Charlie Haden's Nocturne for his work on the song, "Transparence". It embodies great musicality, poise and emotion. Also John Coltrane's opening effort to the song, "My One and Only Love" on John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman. I feel it's the epitome of saxy balladeering.