Chamber Music - your best pick.

Be it the solo, duets, trios, quartets or quintets.
What is/are your favorite(s) in this gener?
What are your recommendations - classical, romantic or 20th century composers.

Most played lately in my system is Shostakovich String Quartets.
Others that get a lot of playing time are Brahms, Dvorak and Schubert.

Would like to check out something new that I haven't heard before. I was looking to pick up some Elgar string quartet and piano quintet next. Any other recommendations? Thanks.
128x128audphile1
The late Beethoven String Quartets, in my opinion, are at the absolute pinnacle of musical creation in any genre in any period. (Not everyone will agree of course.) If you can find the old Hollywood String Quartet performances of these works, not easily done, you might find that these performances are in a class by themselves.
hi:

there is a lot of great chamber music, such as schubert quartets, the ravel and debussy quartets, borodin quartets, frank bridge quartets.

this is such an open question and there is no definitive answer.
Mrtennis,
I actually wasn't asking for a definitive answer.
I was just asking for suggestions.
Thanks.
Something on the obscure side which IMO ranks in the top tier of chamber composition is Biber's Mystery/Rosary Sonatas. My favorite version is by Reinhard Goebel with Musica Antiqua Köln, but it's also pricey. Here's a link to the Amazon page, which has customer reviews toward the bottom:

http://www.amazon.com/Heinrich-Ignaz-Franz-Biber-Rosenkranz-Sonaten/dp/B0000057DS/ref=sr_1_4/103-3526773-4041408?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1192336405&sr=1-4

To whet anyone's appetite, here's one of the reviews (not mine):

By Alan Lekan (Boulder, CO)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Biber's so-called "Mystery Sonatas" are among the most alluring, meditative, virtuostic and amazingly beautiful compositions ever written for the violin - which this fine recording captures most vividly. Three aspects of this recording stand out as superb and make this CD a highly recommended recording for Biber's "Mystery Sonatas." The first is the extremely vivid and crystaline sound quality from DG, who created an ideally-resonant sound ambiance that brings out the mystery and depth of this music. Stunning. The second aspect is the most unique, mysterious and musically innovative compositions from the Austrian violin virtuoso and composer, Biber. The depth of emotive effects and degree of virtusosity immediately catch the attention of the listener and draws one into their mysteries (of the life of Christ). In addition to the "standard" harpsichord and/or therebo continuo, these sonatas also add deeply-resonant organ bass pedal-points that create a powerful and alluring backdrop for the drama of the solosit to unfold. Several reviews below give some valuable background info on these compositions if you are not familiar.

The last aspect that makes this recording special is the accomplished playing of Reinhard Goebels that is of the highest caliber. His technique in the 32nd-note passages is flawless, crisp and worthy of the finest accolades while the sensitive and soaring tonality he exudes in the slower movements is extremely attractive and never grating to the ear. Goebels plays this music not only with the utmost virtuosity but also with a well-judged passion - bringing drama while respecting Biber's sacred and meditative musical intentions by not overly "attacking" the music. His smooth lyricism honors Biber's contemplative designs. Personally, I prefer Goebel's artistry and tone in these works compared to Holloway or Manze, but the fine continuo playing from Romanesca adds to the allure of that recording (Harmoni Mundi). So, the combination of these three aspects along with some interesting notes from Goebels on the music and scordatura techniques make this a most desirable and recommended recording from Musica Antiqua Koln. I cannot say there are any "dull moments" or uninspired playing or composing anywhere on the entire 2 CD's - only the most skillfully and mysteriously composed music for violin and Baroque continuo. It remains one of the more unique compositions and an ever-fascinating study of the art of violin playing. And Musica Antique Koln honors this sacred music with the highest art and musical sensitivity. 5 stars for sure.