What? No Norah Jones New CD Thread?

Well, how is it?
mattybumpkin
Keep listening. Some of my most favorite albums I thought were boring on first listen.

(No promises - you may always find it boring. Just that I find that sometimes albums that I have come to love started out sounding the same, cut after cut, until I really got to know them.)
Art
She's wasting her voice on these lullabyes. This girl has got an excellent blues vocal - sort of Eva Cassidy meets Bonnie Raitt with a splash of Janis.

I recommend 'Peter Malick Group featuring Norah Jones - New York City'. One listen to this CD, specifically the cut "All of Your Love" and you'll get the picture. Totally different Norah - I likee.
Well why, if Eva Cassidy, Bonnie Raitt and Janis Joplin are to be considered "excellent" blues vocalists, then not Norah Jones too? Uh, thanks but no thanks, I'll stick with the real -- meaning black, just in case there was any doubt -- blues singers, and ya'll can have your skinny-voice, no-soul havin' white chicks...
There was an interesting article in the NYTimes about her a couple weeks ago. Apparently, rather than living the life of a diva, she is very 'downtown,' hangs in local clubs without fanfare, and is a jeans and t-shirt kinda gal. (Or her publicist is good enough to create that impression).
It is the constant dilemma though, isn't it? Great sonics = very lackluster performances; brilliant performances on mediocre recordings.
I have her big hit album on vinyl and though it has nice sonics, and she has a good voice, I rarely play it.

On the other hand, most of my Etta James records are not extraordinary recordings, as such, but I play those much more often (and take the trouble to see her in concert).

White chicks without soul- hmmm, Linda Rondstat, Mariah Carey;
Joplin- the stuff with Big Brother & Co. is still amazing to me.