does anybody still listen

my mucic collection contains pretty much everything ive ever liked with over 2500 titles but over the last few years ive got selective & only keep about 500 or so in rotation,mostly jazz & blues,last week i decided to get the entire collection out & check it out.

i spent the day listening to stuff from my youth like alice cooper & black sabbath,queen & deep purple & king crimson & the likes,wow i forgot how much i had enjoyed most of this music,it hit me while alice cooper was playing(i love the dead)at how truly ground breaking alot of this stuff was for its time & how much i liked listening to older 60's & 70's rock music.

i was curiouis if anybody else's tastes had changed from the music that made them take up this hobby or if you still listen to everything you've liked in the past,for me im going to start listening more to the rest of my collection,right now i got grand funk spinnin & im pretty happy to be hearing it too.

mike.
128x128bigjoe
I'm with you Lugnut... it's more fun to hear whatever someone visiting wants to hear. Strange things happen. I have a large vinyl collection (records everywhere), many from my youth and it is surprising sometimes to find out that that great record we’re listening to is not from my friends bag this time but off of my self! Opps! There are very few genres of music that we don’t like. I was raised on classical, Motown, jazz, psychedelic, folk, rock, blues, you name it. It keeps life interesting, dare I say, life is a gumbo (God bless) and why not our musical tastes? I despise listening to just the stuff that sounds “audiophile” and makes someone’s system sound good. That said, there is a lot of great sounding vinyl out today and I’m glad I never got rid of any of the old Lps. As Bigjoe pointed out it’s a delight to pull out the old stuff for a spin and it does hold up quite well indeed. Cheers!
R F,i agree that listening to only audiophile approved stuff just for the sake of it sucks,for me anyways,im not really sure how i ended up pushing most of my collection aside but im very happy that im listening to it all again.

lugnut,we listen alot with friends but they have never asked to pick the music,most of the time they like what we listen to but its a damm fine idea,im gonna leave the whole collection out & have them pick instead,sounds like a good way to keep in touch with alot more of the music.
Bigjoe, Nice thread! I agree I to have dug back into some of the older music again such as; the 1st Blue Oyster Cult, Who's Next, Arageddon to name a few, and I greatly agree that that was innovative music from back then. Now my tastes has changed to softer music but as I listen I stll enjoy it all.
spent sunday morning with "atom heart mother" and "the sopwith camel" on vinyl. reading the paper doesn't get much better than that.
That's almost reason enough to get a sea of CD magazine changers or a hard disk player. That way you can easily force yourself to listen to to stuff (especially B-sides) to albums that you have forgotten. Just put the "whole thing" on shuffle.

As for me, I still listen to a lot of stuff of my youth. But even at 27, there are some titles that still haven't gotten play in a while. But every once in a while I do queue them up.

For the most part right now I'm trying to make my way through the 100s of classical records that I haven't yet heard, yet are taking up most of the floor space in our basement.