Burn in Step up transformer with ipod.

Here is question for you guys. There are cd products out there that reduces the output of CD players to low levels so that they can burn in phonostages and step up transformers safely.

Most cs players output between 2-4 volts which can damage phono step ups. With an ipod, the headphone output is 30mv. If i pay a track via the ipod and connecting it to a step up transformer with rca and play at low volumes, wouldnt it be the same thing as what these products do?
leicachamp
I dont think i can get the output to be as low as .2mv. I estimate at low volume the ipod would be pumping out 5-10mv. I have just finished a 24hr burn in session using my ipod and to my relief, no damage. I cant say whether it has improved the sound or not atm. Going to burn it a few more days.

I hear of theories of burning/damage the coils in Step up transformers but putting a too high signal, but i never read of an actual case!! Is it just a myth?

How much voltage can these transformers take?
I dont think i can get the output to be as low as .2mv. I estimate at low volume the ipod would be pumping out 5-10mv. I have just finished a 24hr burn in session using my ipod and to my relief, no damage. I cant say whether it has improved the sound or not atm. Going to burn it a few more days.

I hear of theories of burning/damage the coils in Step up transformers but putting a too high signal, but i never read of an actual case!! Is it just a myth?

How much voltage can these transformers take?

Not sure how you are estimating the output. The impedance reflected back to the I Pod would be dependent on the turns ratio and the input impedance of the phono preamps input.

The situation you want to avoid is saturating the input coils. The saturation level is dependent on a lot of factors but I have found a tranny that spec'd max 1 volt in.

If you do not have a sensitive digital multi meter to check the voltage I suggest you actually listen to it while playing the I pod. Because of the RIAA curve it will sound like the bass knob was turned all the way up and then some, with the opposite for the treble. However if it is not distorted you are good to go.
Wouldn't the load at the input side be impacted by the load at the output side?
Get an inverse-RIAA device from Jim Hagerman. It does exactly what you're looking for, and it's a bargain.