Gruv Glide - Do you use it?

Hello AGONers,

I was just wondering if any of you use gruv glide or any similar product. I decided to purchase some on a whim and gave it a try on a few LPs. I used it on a few pressings that were used that I bought in the local record store. Even though I cleaned these with a spin clean and a KAB EV-1, they were still a bit noisy. I applied the gruv glide and it did reduce the background noise and static significantly. It seems to do a good job. I just worry about it leaving residue on my LPs and my stylus, which I know it does.

What do you guys think about this product and the pros and cons of it?

Thanks
Andy Price
andyprice44
I have used both Gruv glide and George Merrill's Groove Lube. I like the Groove Lube better. Both should reduce friction and increase stylus life. I use Onzwo to clean my stylus. I personally would not use LAST at all.
Jebsmith73: IMOP it has to do with the closest possible 'needle to groove' tracking, as possible. Of course this is all up to the listener. I'd ask myself, "Why do I feel I need (a needle to groove enhancer) after I've cleaned my vinyl? My personal answer is... "I don't". What is yours?

I'm very anal about cleaning my lps. I use a Mapleshade Iconoclast (effectively), to get rid of any static without putting another product into the mix.
I don't use it on newer LP's or on Mint condition LP's, BUT I think it is a marvel on the VG++ and worse condition LP's that most of us have in our collection.
Does knock back a lot of hash and background noise. Good Stuff, IMHO.
... I think it is a marvel on the VG++ and worse condition LP's that most of us have in our collection. Does knock back a lot of hash and background noise.
IOW, it works by leaving a lubricating residue, which in addition to smoothing over any groove damage necessarily smothers low level detail and dynamics too.

I've heard those effects and I'd never use GG on any properly cleaned LP, which is the only kind I play. Of course I also don't play VG+ records. To me, if a record's worth playing, it's worth finding an undamaged copy. If a record has only mild damage then I'd rather listen through that and hear all of the music. If I'm willing to hear a lower rez version in order to get silent backgrounds, I can play the CD. To each their own of course.
Doug - of course, to each his own, but I really can't see how the force of a stylus in the grove, which, considering the contact area, is probably measured in tons per square inch, could be "impeded" by anything. Is it possible that the perceived loss of low level detail is caused by the removal of high-frequency hash? Sort of like removing the tape hiss from a tape - some perceive that as a loss of detail. Again, this is just discussion. If you don't like the sound, that's all that matters.