Need advice: Turntable Output Voltage

Hello,

I am getting into vinyl and I need some help with my current stereo system, mostly with understanding the specs.

I have a Yahama RX-V1600 AV Receiver with a built-in phono pre-amp. The Input Sensitivity for the PHONO stage in the Yamaha is 3.5mV/47kOhms. The maximum input is 60mV or more, according to the user manual. I hooked up a Technics SL-QD33 turntable to the receiver. The Technics has an output voltage of 2.5mV at 1 kHz, with a recommended load impedence of 47kOhm~100kOhms. I am using a Grado Black cartridge with 5mV output, I believe.

Anyways, the turntable playback is rather quiet. I literally have to crank it up to get to reasonable listening levels. This may be a total noob question, but is the Technics output too low for the Yamaha receiver's phono stage?

I understand Phono is typically quieter than digital sources (for reasons we do not need to go into), but what do I need to do to get this analog system thumping? I do not think the Yamaha's phono pre-amp is faulty. I have hooked up an external Cambridge Audio phono pre-amp to the system as well, and it is still pretty quiet.

I was thinking about upping the "volume trim" on the Phono input by 6 db to see if this pumps up the volume some, although it may just make it even out relative to other input sources. Also, I am concerned that the volume trim may just amplify low-level noise/hiss.

Everything in the system is connected correctly and the turntable is grounded to the receiver.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
zdkaiser
"It seems to me that your phono board is not powered up as it should be.

The really low volume is like you feeding your phono signal directly into a high level input, without the amplification of a phono preamp circuit."

Thats not the problem. A phono preamp doesn't just amplify the signal to bring it up to a line level source. It also runs the signal through an EQ curve. If there's music playing and the only issue is low volume, then the phono pre is working. If you have low volume and the music sounds really messed up, you could make a case for a phono pre issue.

More likely than not, the phono stage in the receiver is just not that good. If you were to put a decent, entry level stand alone phono pre in the system, that should take care of the problem. It doesn't have to be anything really expensive. You can get something workable for about $100-200.
I dont understand what you mean by pumping up your phono input by 6db? your cartridge already puts out enough mv to allow your preamp section to reach full output. What do you mean by volume trim?

If you want to match output with your cd player, then get a phono preamp with variable output, like a PS Audio GCPH. You can not only increase gain, but also increase volume, even remotely.
"I dont understand what you mean by pumping up your phono input by 6db?"

Many of the newer AVR's have an input trim so that one can eliminate large differences in volumes when switching between inputs.