HD Down Load compared to Analog.

Lately, I've been comparing HD Down loads to "analog". The obvious first advantage is no pops and ticks, but that's just for old records. Another advantage for me personally is that I don't have class "A" analog, I have class "B", which is very good. I still use Stereophile magazine's ratings of equipment as a way of conveying how good a piece of equipment is. While folks here put that method of conveying how good a piece of equipment is, they still concur with it, and they don't even know it.

Class "A" analog is the best, and it's always very expensive. You have to have 100% class "A" in the chain to yield class "A" sound, which is why I have Class "B".

In my comparison evaluation, I used Santana "Abraxas" as the test LP. Since I've worn out 5 copies of this album, to say I'm familiar with it is an understatement. "Singing Winds And Crying Beasts" is the first cut, it has "tinkly" sounding chimes that test definition on all equipment. After listening to a new LP, I gave it an "A" rating. This meant the HD Download would have to be some kind of fantastic to top the LP.

As soon as the music began, it became apparent the HD Download was superior; there was a "jet black" background. This is something I had never heard before. I'm fully aware of the fact that's an "oxymoron". "How can you hear what you don't hear, and you have never heard before". Only an audiophile can understand that, consequently, I won't try to explain it. After only two cuts, I gave the HD Download an "A+" rating.

While I have Class "B" analog, if you have Class "A" analog, it might be better than the Download, I don't know. These are the results from my comparison, I would like to hear yours.
orpheus10

I can not recommend HD Downloads for anyone who is not a computer "Geek", or doesn't know one. Something went wrong with my HD Downloads, and I was about to go crazy, when I decided to call my "Geek". He said the computer had to be reset. I have no idea why that only affected the HD Downloads. My "Geek" doesn't talk much, I still don't know what was wrong, but he fixed it. If you're not a "Geek", and can't call one, stay away from HD Downloads.

In regard to what I've downloaded, I'm still going "Ga Ga" over the results. That intangible quality that evokes an emotional response to music, is called "soul" by some, and "geist" or spirit by others. It's the life force in the music. I've heard CD's that were totally stripped of that quality, even though they were of the same music. These HD Downloads are 100% intact, and are no different than Class "A" analog. Since my mind will not accept digital amplification, I can understand your inability to accept HD Downloads. Maybe our problems are the same, I've never heard a digital amp, have you heard HD Downloads?

I'll try to address some questions you have. My Download of the MJQ reflects that groups recording quality. While Santana was recorded earlier, it's a much better recording in regard to sonics. That's a variable you will have to determine on a case by case basis. In each case, there is no deviation from the LP. If there was a flaw in the original LP, it will be worse on the Download.

When you're in a high end emporium and hear the difference between Class "A" and Class "B", you will notice that it's a little better, however when you hear the price difference of the components, unless you're rich, you will be quite content to live with Class "B". Class "B" is not inferior as much as it is cheaper. Class "B" is very very good. Whatever you have, if you think it's Class "A", that works for me.

Enjoy the music.

Smatsui, as an "audiophile" it's understood that you have to do your homework in regard to putting a system together. Forget about "Stereophile" altogether, and you still have to have a very expensive analog system to get sound better than a HD Download. Since only the most special LP's will be downloaded, I will continue to enjoy my analog rig very much, but I have no illusions in regard to HD sounding better than "My" rig.

Enjoy the music.
I think it is easy to get caught up into the x format or source is the best, especially after the time, effort, and money that can be expended to be somewhat satisfied in the final results. I have been enjoying vinyl for about 50 years and have an excellent rig with great table/arm cartridge synergy, but maybe 10% of the pressings I have sound really good. First pressings seem to have a higher percentage of falling into this category. Audiophile remasters seem to be consistently mediocre. I have high res files that sound great and some that are mediocre, even redbook cds that are very good. 15 ips reel to reel masters are consistently the best if you can find them and have the cash to lay out. Even live events are very inconsistent. Hall acoustics, right seat, have good tech rehearsals been performed for the venue, Is the guy on the board setup backstage and asleep at the wheel, (pretty common for rock performances). The point for me is to build the versatility and synergy into my system to take advantage of the gem recordings available, in whatever format they may be. I don't find the format to be the determining factor in my ultimate enjoyment of the music, with the possible exception of a good reel to reel recording. I want to be able to take advantage of all of it.
Petepappp, I have a 2 track Technics reel to reel, and everything that's recorded sounds better on playback. The sound stage is bigger with more depth and definition. Most people don't believe that. Now the problem is no tape available.

While the qualities of recordings vary from one to the other, these down loads vary with the record, and they are "always" better than whatever particular record they were downloaded from. The last HD Download had "nuance" on a record I hadn't heard since 60.

Enjoy the music.

After upgrading some of my old vinyl treasures to what for me was the ultimate, I'm quite satisfied. There just isn't enough new music to go overboard on HD Downloads, and I'm contented with my analog rig.

Let me tell you about something that really made my day. When "Blue Funk", by Ray Charles and Milt Jackson was a 45 on jukeboxes in the early 60's, I heard "nuances" that I hadn't heard since. The 33 1/3 LP didn't quite capture those nuances. Lucky for me HD Downloads had that LP, and although it wasn't 45, it captured those very same "nuances" that I've been in search of for so long.

I just put "Upojenie", by Pat Metheney and Maria Jopek into the CD player. It was recorded in 2008, and it's better than any CD or record that I've got. This CD casts a wide 3D sound stage that breathes, the performers are in the room. The only difference between it and the Downloads is the "jet black background". Digital is not standing still.

The music is reminiscent of "Off Ramp" by Pat, but much more advanced. Anna Maria Jopek, the vocalist, is absolutely fantastic. Although the sonics are as good as it gets, I don't see anything special on the CD. There are so many options that I'm in a music lovers paradise.

Enjoy the music.