HD Down Load compared to Analog.

Lately, I've been comparing HD Down loads to "analog". The obvious first advantage is no pops and ticks, but that's just for old records. Another advantage for me personally is that I don't have class "A" analog, I have class "B", which is very good. I still use Stereophile magazine's ratings of equipment as a way of conveying how good a piece of equipment is. While folks here put that method of conveying how good a piece of equipment is, they still concur with it, and they don't even know it.

Class "A" analog is the best, and it's always very expensive. You have to have 100% class "A" in the chain to yield class "A" sound, which is why I have Class "B".

In my comparison evaluation, I used Santana "Abraxas" as the test LP. Since I've worn out 5 copies of this album, to say I'm familiar with it is an understatement. "Singing Winds And Crying Beasts" is the first cut, it has "tinkly" sounding chimes that test definition on all equipment. After listening to a new LP, I gave it an "A" rating. This meant the HD Download would have to be some kind of fantastic to top the LP.

As soon as the music began, it became apparent the HD Download was superior; there was a "jet black" background. This is something I had never heard before. I'm fully aware of the fact that's an "oxymoron". "How can you hear what you don't hear, and you have never heard before". Only an audiophile can understand that, consequently, I won't try to explain it. After only two cuts, I gave the HD Download an "A+" rating.

While I have Class "B" analog, if you have Class "A" analog, it might be better than the Download, I don't know. These are the results from my comparison, I would like to hear yours.
orpheus10

Raulirgras, and Chayro; there are more variables in this game than you can shake a stick at. There are current CD's, not old music on new CD's; but new music recently recorded that is better than my HD Downloads of old music. You have to take all variables into consideration as you come to them.

Enjoy the music.
I've had very good experiences with HD Tracks hi-rez downloads. I don't believe Stereophile ratings and like many have already stated, its more important to match the components to get the sound quality you're seeking rather than buying the highest rated Stereophile rated components.

That said, I have a Bricasti M1 USB (the latest version with the improved digital section power supply as of March 2013) that is rated A+ in Stereophile. I also have a fully upgraded Linn LP12 with the Radikal PS, Keel subchassis, Eko SE arm and Akiva MC cartridge. The analog setup cost more than double the cost of Bricasti DAC. The configuration of my LP12 is rated class A and my phono stage, Zesto Andros PS1 is also rated class A.

When I compare an LP to the same HD download, I have always preferred the LP. I've only compared 3-4 albums but each time I preferred the LP. I do like the HD downloads a lot though and I have about 25 24/192 or 24/96 albums. I agree the HD downloads sound great but I still like my LP a smidgen better.
Post removed 

Zenblaster, "In my comparison evaluation, I used Santana "Abraxas" as the test LP. Since I've worn out 5 copies of this album, to say I'm familiar with it is an understatement. "Singing Winds And Crying Beasts" is the first cut, it has "tinkly" sounding chimes that test definition on all equipment. After listening to a new LP, I gave it an "A" rating. This meant the HD Download would have to be some kind of fantastic to top the LP."

After wearing out so many LP's, it only took two cuts to tell me something was different, and of course I listen to it all the time now. What ever your intangibles are, I have yet to discover them.

Enjoy the music.