Why will no other turntable beat the EMT 927?

Having owned many good turntables in my audiophile life I am still wondering why not one of the modern designs of the last 20 years is able to beat the sound qualities of an EMT 927.
New designs may offer some advantages like multiple armboards, more than one motor or additional vibration measurements etc. but regarding the sound quality the EMT is unbeatable!
What is the real reason behind this as the machine is nearly 60 years old, including the pre-versions like the R-80?
thuchan
Tonywinsc,
You flatter me :-)
I don't believe that I have more experience than many folk here?
What I do have through my architectural profession......is a working knowledge of structural engineering, building materials, construction techniques and building acoustics.
I am convinced that the fundamental enemy of the 'turntable system'.....is Structure-Bourne Feedback.
Many people assume that Air-Bourne Feedback is the issue as they perceive an increase in feedback when they increase the volume from the speakers.....whereas the increased volume is merely highlighting the Structure-Bourne feedback.
Every suspended timber-framed floor is wracked with Structure-Bourne feedback due to structural deflections....and surprisingly......every suspended reinforced concrete slab is also wracked with similar Structure-Bourne Feedback due to the same structural deflections.
Only a steel reinforced concrete slab on the ground can be relatively free of this form of feedback.
The stresses caused by these structural deflections result in 'movement' and continuous low-frequency energy within the floor system.
All the expensive stands, isolation platforms and turntable suspension systems are designed primarily to isolate the plinth and platter from this Structure-Bourne Feedback but very few are 100% effective because of the severe low-frequency of the feedback and because of the movements induced.
Once you have heard a turntable system.....any turntable system......totally free of this Structure-Bourne Feedback......you will realise the singular importance of this principle.
You will also notice when this is achieved.....that tonearms and cartridges are generally liberated to perform their tasks as designed?
So I agree with you.......the type of drive system implemented and the absolute accuracy of speed maintenance is not as significant IMHO?
Halcro, I think you are entirely right about structural borne vibrations but turntables have many equally difficult problems all of which rob the music of its magic.

About two years ago I discovered the new StillPoints isolation feet, component stands, and racks. They are intended to absorb the internal vibrations as well as the structural vibrations. They have replace the Halcyonic active isolation platforms that I had used, especially under my turntables. But there are also: speed accuracy, resistance to the impact of the music on the speed, slap echo of ribbons used to drive tables, pulse of ac motors, vibrations through the bearing, etc. Gradually, I have come to the conclusion that the idler wheel turntable, especially the Lenco, have the greatest realism, so I am moving that way.

I think many are selling vinyl short, but no totally optimizing their turntable, arm, cartridges. My new table will also allow me to have two tonearms with one having a mono cartridge. Long ago I realized that while I liked the soundstage of most stereo records, monos often are the most real.
Dear Thuchan, I remember the most of your pictures about the building of your dedicated listening, uh, space. I don't however rememer to have seen any 'steel reinvorced slabs' anywhere while non of your components is 'hanged' on the walls. My apartment is on the 11e floor so if there were no 'steel reinvorced slabs' under my foot or my gear I would be no more among us. Thanks Henry for your explanation why I am still a live. I wrongly thought that Lew or Fleib would explain this 'wonder' to me considering the fact that I smoke longer than 50 years. As some old chess master stated: 'the human understanding is limited but human stupidity is without bondaries'.

Regards,
Tbg, That is interesting that you replaced the Halcyonics with the StillPoints. Before doing so, did you try the StillPoints between the turntable and the Halcyonics? Could you please describe how the sound changed?

I met the designer of the StillPoints last weekend at the NYC Audio Show. He indeed explained to my friend and me that the SP are designed to drain internal vibrations down from the component as well as isolate it from structural born vibrations coming from below the component. He also explained to us that his products make the most difference when placed under speakers, then electronics and finally under source components like turntables.

Have you tried placing some StillPoints on the plinth of your turntable, assuming there is room?
Peterayer, I had two Halcyonics unit with one under the turntable and one under the amp most of the time. I had thought to buy more Halcyonics but the price got outrageous. Really it was the StillPoints Rack that came along first. When I put everything on the SP Rack it was better than my previous sound. I longed for the possibility to have all Halcyonics but could not afford that. Ultimately the guy who bought my Shindo turntable wanted the Halcyonic unit so I sold both. The second Halcyonic went shortly thereafter.

I did try various feet between the Halcyonic and the Shindo but they did little.

I think Paul is wrong about where the greatest benefits of the SP Ultra SSs or Ultra Fives are. On my amps SP Ultra Five on SP Component stands are just outstanding. Once I got rid of the acrylic shelves on the SP Rack, the Ultra SSs and Ultra Minis are also outstanding. The SP Ultra Fives are outstanding under speakers, but four are needed, not just three. In all cases four are better than three, but you have to keep all four in contact with the component.

Most vertical vibration is turned into horizontal vibration which can nowhere and thus is converted into heat.

No my present turntable is a Bergmann Sindre with no real suspension. It is on SP Ultra Fives which are also mounted on a SP Component stand. Initially, I am just going to put the Nantais Lenco Reference where the Bergman is now. The hundred pound weight of the Reference will mean something other than the Mana Stands glass shelf.