Interconnects Roller Coaster Ride

I purchased a pair of Morrow MA-1 interconnects, burned them in 24/7 for 500 hours. At present, I'm at about 550 hours. Each night I now listened to my system for about three hours. For two straight nights, the sound is gorgeous with the Morrows. Then the third night things sound bad. This pattern has repeated itself twice now. My assumption was that once the interconnects have been fully burned in, they will stabilize and will always sound good. Has anyone experienced this continued roller coster ride in good-to-poor sound from the Morrows?
kisawyer
KiSAWYER.....are you near an airport/military base??.... I had a similar problem that I traced to radar interference....... I moved, you probably can't.
Thanks to all for your responses.

As I mentioned, the output tubes in the power amp have about 200 hours on them. I am able to check the bias often, and keep them within specifications. The other smaller tubes in both the power amp and preamp have more hours on them but according to ARC, need only to be changed after two cycle changes of the output tubes. That is, about 4,000 hours.

I'll look into the line voltage issue and see if I can check that out with the volt meter as suggested.

The same components were used during both the burn in and listening sessions. The burn in was through my CD player to the preamp (which was turned off), as recommended by Morrow. I simply reconnected the CD player into the system for the actual listening sessions.

I do live near an Air Force Base. Not K.I. Sawyer in Michigan, but Luke AFB in Arizona.

Thanks to all for the great suggestions. I'll keep everyone informed on further listening and what I ultimately find out.
Has anyone experienced this continued roller coster ride in good-to-poor sound from the Morrows?
FWIW, I have used both MA-1's and MA-3's from Morrow and I have not noticed the effect you are describing. Anything is possible, but I think variations in line voltage is a much better hypothesis, and easily tested.

Bryon
The other smaller tubes in both the power amp and preamp have more hours on them but according to ARC, need only to be changed after two cycle changes of the output tubes. That is, about 4,000 hours.
Keep in mind that any electronic or mechanical component, be it a tube, a capacitor, a CD transport mechanism, or anything else, can develop a problem (intermittent or otherwise) at any time. While admittedly that stands a greater chance of occurring at times that are either early or late in the life of the part or component, compared to in between, the multitude of possible explanations that have been suggested should be weighed against the likelihood that the sonic effects of an interconnect cable would fluctuate to the extent you have described, after 500 hours. I'll add, btw, that I've had brand new small signal tubes abruptly fail after as little as 2 hours.

Given that you used the CD player for burn-in, yet another possibility, in addition to those suggested in the posts above, would be dirt accumulation affecting its optical mechanisms, and/or wear and tear on its optical or mechanical mechanisms. Either of those possibilities could conceivably affect electrical noise conditions in the player, jitter, or the need to utilize interpolation to correct read errors. Perhaps intermittently.

Interesting input from Stringreen. As someone having significant experience with radar equipment, and although most radars transmit at frequencies well into the gigahertz region, I wouldn't rule out the possibility.

In any event, good luck with the investigation.

Regards,
-- Al
I believe I have identified the problem. In various readings of posts on Audiogon regarding interconnects, someone mentioned that the equipment or speakers need time to warm up. I had noticed a pattern in the past few weeks that the sound was not good when I began listening, but improved after about 2 1/2 hours of continuous listening. Someone pointed out that it takes planar speakers (also electrostatics?) time to warm up as well as tubes. So today I turned on the system and played music. At first, it did not sound very good, so I left it on for over three hours playing various musical selections. When I sat down to listen three-four hours later...WOW. The Morrow sound I had briefly heard had returned. So my belief is that I simply have to let the tubes and speaker "warm up." I never experienced this before and believe it took the Morrows to bring this to light. I now do not think that the Morrow interconnects were the problem, but the components and speakers needing time to "warm up."