Do Active Speakers Belong In A High End System?

In a pair of active speakers, you have removed the high end amplifier from from the equation. The amps on an active speaker will probably be class D plate amps.

All of the flowery adjectives to describe high end amps and high end speaker cables in a system go right out the window when using active speakers.

Is a serious active full-range tower speaker a high-end audiophile possibility? I rarely read about active speakers on this forum in a two channel system.
128x128mitch4t
Don't forget to include in your list Event Opal regarded by most of studio engineers as one of the most accurate studio monitor
Why not?

Some of the best speakers around, and I have heard, are active.

That said the very best speakers I have heard are NOT active and the designers think a SOTA passive simply sounds better.

I am looking to arrange a GTG to put that to the test with a SOTA passive compared to a DEQX active.

Thanks
Bill
An active speaker can sound truly awful.

An active speaker can sound truly state of the art.

Like all components, it depends on the design, execution, and subtleties of the voicing of the product.

ATC self powered speakers can sound fabulous. I'm sure others can also.

The plus side: eliminates trying to find the perfect amp, cables, eliminates the nasty passive crossover that eats power, dynamics, detail, and has phase issues.

The minus side, it eliminates the tuning possibilities of matching up an amp that fits your sonic aesthetic.

You have to ask yourself: are you the type that loves to tune your system with cables and amps? Do you typically only keep a component for a few years and then get itchy ears and feet to replace it or tune it differently? i If you are, then you may get frustrated with self powered speakers.

If you are the type that hates that pain of dealing with amps and speaker cables in order to find a good match? Then you sound like a good candidate.

If your budget allows you to go up to ATCs I would start (and for me, finish) right there. Truth in the sound of music, good enough for many of the best pro installations in the world, chosen by many who make the music and recognize it when they hear a closer rendition played back.

I love my speaker/amp/cable combinations. But if it all burned I would have a hard time choosing between ATC and what I have.
Onhwy61 is correct. Eliminating the passive crossover, installing an electronic crossover, matching amplifiers to drivers and bi-amping or tri-amping all add up to better sound.
Post removed