Esoteric MG 10 vs Magnepan 1.7

Has anyone had a chance to listen to these two speakers and form any opinions about their sonic qualities as they relate to each other. There is a substantial price difference and what do you think is the best bang for the buck.
jgrossberg
When I auditioned the Maggies I was struck by the 3D sound which my Audes Blues with certain CD's starts to approach. The loss of low end on the Maggies is a concern although I have an M&K subwoofer. I have never been able to integrate this sub that well even with my Celestion monitors. They always sound slightly separate.

No one has mentioned anything about the Esoteric MG 10 speakers, is that because they are rare and not many have heard them? What about using a Primaluna Dialog tube amp with any of these speakers.
I was running a Chinese Tube hybrid preamp (BADA brand) into my W4S STI-500 using only the amp portion driving my Magnepan 1.7s. The tubes make an amazing difference. I would highly recommend a tube preamp with a solid state amp, if possible. If you don't listen to music at very high levels, the PrimaLuna integrated amps would be terrific. But if you like to turn it up, you will need more power.

For me, 90% of my listening I am using 10 watts or less into the Magnepans. However, they seem to drink up power much quicker than other speakers and to get them really loud, you should have 150 to 200 watts into 4 ohms.

Check out the BADA hybrid integrated amp on the Pacific Valve and electric website. It is about $1200 and has a tube preamp with solid state amp.
Been on vacation so late to respond. I have listened to both the 1.7s and the MG-10s at the same dealership. They both represent excellent value, however quite different in presentation. I own the MG-10s, liking the transparency, quickness and dynamics. i thought they would be a better fit for my 12' x 15' room. Had I a larger room I may have further considered the 1.7s. I also don't listen to large scale music often, which the 1.7s would present better when given space. Most certainly trade-offs here. The 1.7s are more demanding of the amplifier. Please let us know of your decision.
"07-15-13: Jgrossberg
When I auditioned the Maggies I was struck by the 3D sound which my Audes Blues with certain CD's starts to approach. The loss of low end on the Maggies is a concern although I have an M&K subwoofer. I have never been able to integrate this sub that well even with my Celestion monitors. They always sound slightly separate.

No one has mentioned anything about the Esoteric MG 10 speakers, is that because they are rare and not many have heard them? What about using a Primaluna Dialog tube amp with any of these speakers."

Sorry. I lost track of this thread. Mesch's post put it back to where I see it again. Your comment on not liking the bass on the 1.7 caught my attention. I know I said I didn't care for the speaker overall but the one thing I did like was the bass. It didn't have that boomy, theatre type character that many speakers have. It was definitely more musical and defined. I think you would have a difficult time integrating your sub with them. I don't know what kind of bass you prefer, but placement and the amp you use, can have a big effect in this area.

I think you are right about the Esoteric. Not that many people have experience with them. That doesn't make them bad, though. Also, as far as the Prima Luna goes, it may be a little underpowered for the 1.7's. Especially for bass. I didn't find them too difficult to drive, but you will probably want to use a more powerful amp.

Are these the only 2 speakers you are willing to consider? There's a lot of really good choices in your price range, both new and used. If you want to try a panel speaker, have a look at a pair of Martin Logan's. Some of the older models, like the SL-3's, are still great sounding speakers. Their not perfect, of course, but they do a lot right. Another one that comes to mind is Tekton. I haven't had the opportunity listen to them myself, but everyone that has seems to be raving about them. Also, your Prima Luna will easily drive them.