how can I make the back wall transparent?

If this is the wrong place for this topic please move it

My listening room is 11.5 x 15 and my speakers are 3.5 ft from the back wall.

I have spent considerable effort tweaking stuff, to the point where the system sounds very spacious and deep, BUT it still does not sound as spacious as systems with 6-8 ft of free space behind the speakers.

Is there any aesthetically pleasing wall treatment available that would give me that depth without moving the speakers

Taking the wall down is not an option:-)
williewonka
Perhaps I should take care of my exterminations with trying to listening to your band Wolf. Can you share?
I cross my single driver speakers in front of my listening position in a medium size room. 17d X 35w and I sit about 13ft away with the speakers about 13 ft apart. Cathedral ceilings. No constriction of soundstage.
Aggielaw the following dimensions apply to the centre of the front of the speaker
23.5 inches from side wall and 37.25 inches from rear wall

The speakers are toe-in 0.5 inch.

I tried several toe-in angles, but for the Sonograms in this room the angle selected gave the widest image with the greatest depth and kept standing waves to a minimum.

I had read lots of posts on speaker placement and they all talk about the image snapping in place - my experience was a little more gradual.

I must admit that this new "spaciousness" only came about after getting all my "other ducks" in a row - in my case those last ducks were my interconnects, power supply and power cords, without which I do not think the whole thing would have come together so vividly.

Not that the old ones were bad, they just didn't have the same synergy as those currently in place

It freaks me out just how good this system sounds now :-)
So exactly what did I hear during this process....

The staging from left to right was already very precise. For this I used a well recorded classical orchestral track because I know where the stringed instruments should be - e.g. left to right - violins, violas, cello, double bass, or something like that.

If your speakers are too far apart you can hear actual gaps between the many instruments - they sound disjoint.

Too close together and the instruments sound on top of each other - they should flow from left to right each having their own space with no gaps.

My specific problem was that from front to back on some tracks, it sounded as though everything was coming directly from the wall behind the speakers. Other tracks sounded as though they were coming from behind the wall, but there was never any sound coming from in front of the wall.

Selecting a track that sounded "flat to the wall" and starting with the front of the speakers about 44 inches from the wall behind, I moved the speakers back one inch at a time (to start with).

With each movement, the track started to have more depth from front to back and much clearer sounding with more details becoming apparent. I continued until the image started to loose it's clarity and the moved the speakers forward again to the point with the most clarity.

It's quite difficult the covey in words exactly what to listen for and at what point you have gone too far, but it became quite apparent when I was moving the speakers.

Once I had them in the right place I tried several toe-in angles and selected the best one. Again, when you are doing it it is readily apparent.

One thing I did notice during this process were standing waves in the bass frequencies , and positioned the speakers such that the sound had a nice balance to it from a couple of different listening locations.

Why more than one? Well, I have the sweet spot, where the sound is very good. And then there is the "wife and I" location, where we sit on those cold winter nights enjoying a glass of wine after a hard day skiing :-)

I had tried several times to find the right speaker location, but never really understood what I was doing, let alone what to look for. I tried the various formulae to no avail, because most of them call for the speakers to be in some position that required me to move furniture out of the room.

It wasn't until I read the posts in this thread, that I realized what having the speaker in the right place was actually achieving.

My thanks to all who contributed - I hope others find it as enlightening.