Setting up dual subwoofers to a two channel amp.

Any advice would be really great:

I am currently running a dual-mono 300B SET amp into two back-loaded horn single driver speakers. A very simple setup. I have two subwoofers on the way... This complicates things. They will be active subs with either Keiga or Dayton SPA plate amps. I would like to use the high level in/out on each sub. The problem is that I am using one dual mono amp to feed two "stereo" (two in/out each) plate amps which will power each sub and then send the signal to the horns. Basically I am using these two subwoofer amps that are designed have two channels in and out, but I am only feeding one signal into each. Anyone know the proper way to set something like this up without bridging my main amp?

Also, how badly is the signal going to the main speakers going to be degraded by putting a sub in between?

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
tjkurita
If I understand what you are asking. The subs do not need both channels. Send the left channel to the left sub and the right channel to the right sub. If each sub needs both inputs to have signal than use a Y cord at the input (its been a long time since I have seen a sub that needs both inputs with signal.)

Use the corresponding high freq output to continue to the amp for that channel.

As far as sound quality I can only speak to my results with my 300b based SET amp. So far I have not been able to find a crossover that is step back when feeding my 300b. I've tried the internal crossover of the sub, which is very poor sound quality. A seperate discrete SS unit, definitley better but than it sounds like a good SS amp instead of a SET amp. Lastly an integrated circuit based unit, which is suprisingly a little better then the discrete SS unit but still leaves me without the midrange magic and top to bottom cohesiveness of the SET amp.

Ofcourse YMMV.

I'm currently trying to find a SET based tube crossover that will get the job done in my system.
Thanks for the response. This makes sense. It doesn't sound like you are having a lot of luck with integrating your subs. Another option I am looking into is using Y cables at the sub from the main amp to the sub and the the Y cable continues to the full range speaker. Nothing from the high level out of the sub at all. I don't know what kind of load this will present to the amp, though.
We need to clarify. When you say high level do you mean speaker level or preamp level?

From your last post it sounds like you are considering running the speaker hook ups on the amp to the "speaker level inputs" on the sub and then from that spot continuing on to the speaker. If so than the load presented to the amp is negligibly different as the "speaker level in" on the sub does not really load the amp per se.

If my description of your intended hook up is correct than what you will be doing is running your main speakers full range and augmenting the bass with your subs.

Is that your intention? If so I have an alternate hook up that is easier. Basically you use your existing speaker wire as you have it now and add a smaller gauge wire (as it will not be carrying any current) from the speaker hook ups on the amp going to the "speaker level in" on the back of the subs.

BTW, I am currently running my main speakers and SET full range and using my subs to augment everything below 80hz.
The only reason I am trying to add an electronic crossover is so that my SET does not have to work as hard when playing loud.

HTH